• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Badman / Madman so far...

I don't think that's actually the case. Titanium will never compete with plastic frames for weight. It's just physically impossible. The blend of the the X-metal titanium alloy was chosen so it can take the sculptural design better.

Noted. And I just want to point out the ff:

- Taking impossible is just what Oakley do in regular basis, thus the continuous adapting, innovation that makes them stand out.
- Yes agreed that sculpturing was factor, but not the only factor, the then desired strenght to weight ratio factor pushed for the alloying of titanium.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

I hear what you're saying about treating them gingerly. But it's all a matter of context.

Let me explain.

As I mentioned on another thread, I recently bought a Madman at a crazily low price. I like them, but then perhaps I secretly have for a while, once I got my head around the cons (and got over them).

Pros:
Crazy design.
Light weight.
Colourways. Love the Plasma/Tungsten combo (my favourite out of the released colourways). The Ferrari and Black/BIP are a good look too.

Cons:
PRICE, RRP, MSRP, call it what you will.
Lens coverage. Haha!
Getting over the whole 'X-Metal' thing.

So, once they were more reasonably priced, and you accept them as an O-luminium pair (instead of the mis-badged 'X-Metal), they make more sense.

When they came out, folks freaked the fk out that they were branded as 'X-Metal' but not made out of traditional X-Metal. It seems some people are still hung up on this.

Let's be clear here. THAT was Oakley's major mistake with the Madman and Badman. They marketed them as X-Metals because they "followed the same design philosophy" and all that waffle. If they'd called them something else - O-luminium, or even 'NeXt Metal' like we call them now - they would have received a better response.
Oakley should not have called them X-Metal. Neither should we.

Are they brittle? Yes, they seem to probably be - judging by the few pics of snapped pairs I've seen. But then, the Hatchet Wire was brittle too. Again, we need to get our heads out of X-Metal mode and into O-luminium mode when we're handling these.

And that £300+ RRP price tag? I'm glad I waited, and paid under a third of that . . . .
:cool-33:

You have been reading a message from Herbsley.
Oakley Forum's Voice of Reason

@Herbsley

You nailed it right here:

"Oakley should not have called them X-Metal. Neither should we."

I have no problem with this series, and I don't know if I'm in a majority with that thought and don't care either way frankly. I like them both and have no illusions about them trying to be anything they're not. No worries.

Just the marketing geniuses trying to sell more product. :punish:

Good post buddy.

Back