• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Base Curve Definition

C3312744-4228-4665-B4ED-82E3658D58F5.png

@Chris A Hardaway. A little plausibility check for me to see if I am on the right track :
View attachment 741365
Figure 1:CC BY-SA 3.0: Lens - Wikipedia

Lens maker's forumula: diopters = 1 / f = (n - 1) * (1 / R_1 - 1 / R_2)

Since our R_2 side is not supposed to be concave as shown in figure 1, but convex, I am assuming this is is done by making R_2 negative:

==> diopters = 1 / f = (n - 1) * (1 / R_1 - 1 / -R_2) = (n - 1) * (1 / R_1 + 1 / R_2)

I am assuming a lens thickness of 1.5mm ==> abs(R_2) = R_1 + 1.5mm

==> diopters = 1 / f = (n - 1) * (1 / R_1 + 1 / (R_1 + 1.5mm))

Plugging in our lens properties...
Refraction index of polycarbonate in the middle of the visible spectrum: n = 1.585
Diopters = 8.75/m
... and solving for R_1...

==> R_1 = 133mm

Our lens would be a piece of the surface of a sphere with an inner radius of 13.3cm. Doesn't seem implausible. Sound about right? (Hope I haven't violated the rule of never doing math in public :behindsofa:)
I'm not sure I fully follow. The biggest issues for me is I don't see where lens thickness is part of that formula. But almost now importantly, you wouldn't plug in 8.75 diopters. Because it's a curve of 8.75 Diopters not 8.75D of power... You are wanting to find out the curve of a Plano "no power" lens. You aren't trying to find the radius of curve on a +8.75 or -8.75 diopter lens are you?
So the focal length will be infinite meters. This is showing a diverging lens formula best I can tell. You don't want a diverging lens or a converging lens. You wanted a non-RX Plano powered lens (0 diopters).

I'm not sure I fully follow. The biggest issues for me is I don't see where lens thickness is part of that formula.

here (the thickness is a function of R_1 & R_2. If they are defined, the thickness is defined):
"

"
But almost now importantly, you wouldn't plug in 8.75 diopters.

Sure did...
"
Diopters = 8.75/m
"
so to write it out in full:

8.75/m = (1.585 - 1) * (1 / R_1 + 1 / (R_1 + 1.5mm))

Because it's a curve of 8.75 Diopters not 8.75D of power... You are wanting to find out the curve of a Plano "no power" lens. You aren't trying to find the radius of curve on a +8.75 or -8.75 diopter lens are you?

I don't know about the terminology. I was trying to determine the radius of the imaginary surface of a sphere a lens is cut out of.

here (the thickness is a function of R_1 & R_2. If they are defined, the thickness is defined):
"

"

Sure did...
"
Diopters = 8.75/m
"
so to write it out in full:

8.75/m = (1.585 - 1) * (1 / R_1 + 1 / (R_1 + 1.5mm))

I don't know about the terminology. I was trying to determine the radius of the imaginary surface of a sphere a lens is cut out of.
I don't think you are understanding that I'm saying you are trying to figure out the radius of curve on a zero (Plano) RX lens. So you can't use 8.75 as you're Diopters. The power is 0, so diopters is d= 0 not 8.75, focal length is infinity. Or am I missing something? Maybe this is beyond me sir.

Also thickness is not defined by the R1 or R2.... Only power of a lens is defined (d = diopters) by r1 and r2.

So you could have say two equal curves say 1 meter curve radius, on both front and back, thickness could be 1mm , 1 cm, or 1m for that matter. Thickness is certainly not determined by this equation. Diopters/power and radius of curve is. Right?

I actually took that from your initial post. Well, might be too complex to discuss w/o actually talking in person and making sketches for illustration. Either way, thanks for your input Chris. I believe you pointed me in the right direction. Much appreciated! :)
Just remember 8.75 diopters is a way to measure both curvature, or power, Not both. But it's ok. It would make more sense if I explain in person, or you review my first two posts again.
Glad you are geeking out though!

Back