• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Baseball Gear Thread

i was a baseball player many years ago and i play softball for 20 years now
my bat is a easton stealth and my glove is the beautiful rawlings primo trapeze glove

i saw a primo at a rawlings store last summer. I have never felt anything like it. it was the softest leather I have ever touched and was absolutly beautiful. I would be afraid to get it dirty!

I bought the primo and i was scared to use it
I was only using the glove in my house,crazy man lol
I decide to use it but only when i play outfielder,not dust on it yet
If you buy it you'll fall in love for sure,my other glove is the pro preffered and primo is by far a head

I play catcher and I really do not like the primo. I have a pro proffered and an all-start CM3000 which I like a little better. As for oaks I like the m-frames as opposed to radars when I'm playing. Good to see some baseball love on the forum!

Ruby has a Primo? :O
those are the italian leather one that cost like $400 bucks, right?
i still wouldnt be afraid to get it dirty, only to break it. even then you can replace parts. i replaced the entire webbing on a friends glove. just go to any leathersmith, they probably could do it too

yeah that's the one,when you love that game like i do,400$ is well spent
i still play 2-3 times a week so in my situation i need a good glove and to me eyes,primo is the one

Thats all you can do man. Take advantage of any camps/clinics you can and never pass up good advice. Theres always more to learn. Good luck bro!

The best showcases and camps are the free ones.

yeah thanks man, i definantly try to put in my time. ive gotten pretty good, not to brag on myself, but ive got alot to work on. but im just gonna keep working.

Somewhere someone is working harder and wants it more. You better be committed.

Just work hard man. College was it for me but I have some friends who went on. My best friend from HS played some minor league ball and a few guys from my college team played minor league ball as well. I know very well that hard work makes a big differance so you have a good game plan for getting there.

Orel Hersheiser had an interesting comment the other night: he said that there are plenty of fast guys in baseball, plenty of guys that throw hard, plenty of guys that flash leather but the ones that make it are the ones that get it done consistently, game in and game out.

TOC, thanks for a thread about our family's obsession! And helping me to understand RubySkull better. :blink:

I've played softball for about 20 years now. I started playing after returning home from a 10 year stint in the Marine Corps as a way to make friends and transition.
We have three sons, 29, 27 and 17. I have 2 work teams that I play on with my older sons and I play all positions on the right side.
I started coaching my youngest at t-ball and when his ability surpassed my knowledge of the game he began playing for select teams. About 5 years ago we started spending our summer weekends in hotels on the road at tournaments. Today finds us in the Pittsburgh airport Mariott nursing a 3-2 loss in the first game of pool play.
For years (and still) my wife washed uniforms in Fels Naptha or White Brite at midnight after waiting all night for the only functional washing machine in whatever hotel we were in that night. I serve a dual role in transportation/ logistics and finance. My son's role is to play the best baseball he can and be the best person he can be. His work earned him a baseball scholarship to Kent State starting in August- another shortstop on a team full of them!
I play with gloves that my older sons have bought me over the years but my youngest uses a Primo that I gave him for Christmas. He wanted a Pro-Preferred but I surprised him with the Primo. I don't mind buying him quality stuff because for him they are his tools. Before the Primo he used a Barazza.

There are plenty of opportunities for you in baseball- if you are willing to put the work in. That means working on your game and working on you. Like it or not, grades do matter and plenty of talented kids just can't crack a roster because they didn't take care of academics. Or had to take a longer and riskier route trying to get to D1 through a D2 or D3 or a juco just because of grades. Take care of your business on and off the field and see where baseball is able to take you.

Don't compromise yourself!

i agree with you completely Carguy. ive got a summer plan going where i get up at the break of dawn with a few swings, pitches and a run. i wanna be the one guy on a ball team who can run haha. i spend the rest of the day either at the cages or on the mound. at the end of the day i'll get feilding practice @ short and 3rd. end of this season, i was in a slump with a 4/16 streak at the plate, but another thing Hershieser says is Adjustment is key. if you cant adjust, your not going to move forward. i hit youtube and watched some major leaguers swings, like Chase Utley, Jason Heyward (who my swing is modeled after), and a few more. see what they were doing that i wasnt, and it got better. im pretty commited to going far, altough there are impossibilities in my life. i cant play travel ball anymore because of A) funds and B) my family having only one car and someone who has a full time job and a dad that is disabled. so thats kind of a bummer.

Back