• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Batwolfs Two Cents V0.1 - "Blades Are The New Frogskins"

Batwolf

Double Team
Premium Member
Portland, OR
Each week or two I plan on doing a new segment I like to call "Batwolfs Two Cents." Basically I will be making threads of new topics or things that I feel must be shared with the Oakley community, with a little Batwolf twist. This weeks topic is about retro, vintage, fashion and where that leaves you.

More and more these days you will find people throwing around the words retro and vintage. What exactly does this mean and is it a continuing trend? Personally, I have nostalgia. I love REAL and AUTHENTIC vintage things and here's why.

1) Rarity (or more so)
2) Collectibility (not a word but I don't care)
3) Fashion (appearance, for those who don't have fashion)

I think as collectors we all agree that we have an interest in all of those things. And even more so as Oakley collectors. Now when you think of retro sunglasses, more than likely people will be thinking of things like this:

Obviously the trends are now moving towards more Wayferer and Aviator inspired looks. For us Oakley collectors, this is where the Frogskins came in. But as the Frogskins grow more and more popular and the gap between rare and common gets closer, I decided that I wanted to set myself a part from the pack. Where did I find myself?

Yep, the Blades. When first introduced in the late 80's these were at the pinnacle of sport performance. You saw athletes all over wear these, including Greg LeMond in the Tour De France.

Look at all the color options! This was one of the first truly customizable sunglasses on the market. You could do whatever your heart desires, with over 22 million different possibilities. You can choose the front (bridge) color, stem colors, stem shape (standard and trigger), lens color, and lens shape (Blade, Razor, Slit). It's almost impossible to have one of the same pairs out there. Talk about unique!

This is everything I've collected over the past few weeks, with a little eBay know how and deals on here. Honestly IMO, and I know that this will get me a lot of complaints but Frogskins aren't cool anymore. Blades are the new thing. It's time to go from vintage fashion to vintage sports. If you really want to be cool, this is where it's at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the sweet Blade and Razor Blades out there.

3279583972_92667434aa.jpg

4665332208_93a6752a7c_z.jpg

Oakley_razor_blade_red_iridium.jpg

5471899736_f3a0667e14_z.jpg

Attachments

• 3279583972_92667434aa.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 5,074
  • 4665332208_93a6752a7c_z.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,320
  • Oakley_razor_blade_red_iridium.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,774
  • 5471899736_f3a0667e14_z.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 2,338
  • 3279583972_92667434aa.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 474
  • 4665332208_93a6752a7c_z.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 546
  • Oakley_razor_blade_red_iridium.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 402
  • 5471899736_f3a0667e14_z.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 754
Last edited by a moderator:
You may be on to something. I've noticed a couple of employees in the Market St O Store with Blades. It is without a doubt far less common to see someone rocking a pair of Blades, than it is to see a pair of Frogskins.

I understand that the Blade was a turning point & really put Oakley in the spotlight but the frame doesn't do anything for me i'm afraid. I agree that these could be the next big collectable frame & with that the prices will no doubt starrt to creep up soon so if you want them you better get them now...:rolleyes: What will be the next "Must have Old Skool frame?"

I understand that the Blade was a turning point & really put Oakley in the spotlight but the frame doesn't do anything for me i'm afraid. I agree that these could be the next big collectable frame & with that the prices will no doubt starrt to creep up soon so if you want them you better get them now...:rolleyes: What will be the next "Must have Old Skool frame?"
Don't worry, Blades will never take off and flood the market like Frogskins did. The 2 rereleases of the Blades have proved that, as Oakley made very few of them, an idea they should go back to for Frogs.

I get what you're saying Batwolf. I've notice a few 'kids' around with the Frogskins/Wayferer styled cheap frames. Although I have to say Frogs look far better than these cheap frames from Claires Accesories. Couldn't see myself wearing Blades though but then again I've never seen or tried a pair.

There's a reason Blades lasted about 10 years and the M Frame is still going after 20. :rockon:

Ha, just teasing you! I would like a set of Blades to add to the collection, but if the prices keep going up and deals are getting more scarce it might not happen.

Only been into oakley for about a year and a half, and I can say I totally agree. I like to pick things that stand out from the crowd. I can't say I would rock these in the street, but a vintage pair of zeros. Yes. I would consider, and really any of those older oakley designs that were so far against the grain it was absurd but incredibly awesome in it's own right.

Blades have always been cool. Same with most existing frogs, just a little boring of late. I feel like blades and eyeshades have always defined vintage.

Back