• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Found Beater PitBoss OR just the Ti plates for the PitBoss

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username Hidden

Looking to buy a beater Pit Boss I.

OR just a set of Ti Plates in any finish for the Pit Boss I frame like these circled ones...
IMG_7705x.jpg

Some people reacted to this post.
I wonder if a 3 D printer could make those?

Username Hidden said:
@SiRacer420 could you print these plates ?

YFG and I explored that and I don’t think an FDM printer would do well with those. I mean it’s possible but it would probably take a better one than mine. An SLA printer would probably make a really nice one but I don’t have any plans to get into that.

The next issue would be modeling it. The best option would be to have a pair scanned and rendered in 3D. Then they would just need some tweaking. That’s something I haven’t yet explored but it’s on my to do list.

In the end I don’t think it’s impossible but it’s definitely out of my skill set. Could be cost prohibitive too unless you had some buyers lined up. Getting someone to scan them and make them just right won’t be cheap.

Username Hidden said:
YFG and I explored that and I don’t think an FDM printer would do well with those. I mean it’s possible but it would probably take a better one than mine. An SLA printer would probably make a really nice one but I don’t have any plans to get into that.

The next issue would be modeling it. The best option would be to have a pair scanned and rendered in 3D. Then they would just need some tweaking. That’s something I haven’t yet explored but it’s on my to do list.

In the end I don’t think it’s impossible but it’s definitely out of my skill set. Could be cost prohibitive too unless you had some buyers lined up. Getting someone to scan them and make them just right won’t be cheap.
Scanning them would definitely be the way to go to preserve the existing surfaces, as making the geometry from scratch in which you'd replicate the specific curvature would a long process. Once you have them modelled, you could host them on a printer service site an basically charge anyone that'd want them printed - while still retaining ownership of your work put into modeling them.

A PLA or ABS printer would do for the sake of getting the geometry down, and test fitting them to the frame. But you are correct, that a SLA printer would yield a much nicer end product. Issue if finding someone with a SLA printer to utilize as not everyone has a spare 2.5k+ to drop on hobby printer - though maybe someone here has one at work they can utilize.

The more expensive alternative would be a SLS printer - which uses sintering to create prints from fine powder, a lot of automotive parts are made in this manner such-as the turbine wheel in a turbo charger. You'd likely have to use a 3rd party service like shapeways, protiq, protolabs or stratasysdirect where you'd send them your file come up with a quote an send you your finished piece. But even then, you'd still need to do some finishing to them as the layers would be still visible, hence the casting idea seems like the more affordable option.

The cheaper solution to replicate them in metal, would be printing them in ABS/PLA material. From those prints you could make ceramic mold (finding someone who has access to kiln would be helpful - someone who works at a school or is university with a ceramic class would be best guess) that you'd pour molten metal in. Followed by some finishing of the surfaces - benefit of this technique is you'd have the mold already so any future plates would just require molten metal, over the SLS requires you using a service or dropping about $10k on a printer.

Last edited:
Username Hidden said:
I wonder if a 3 D printer could make those?
You could. But it's expensive - alternatively you could try casting those plates in silicon mold to create plastic replica's, then from those plastic parts you could create a ceramic mold for casting them out of metal, but you'd need someone with kiln. An end product would still need some finishing after removed from the mold.

Username Hidden said:

Maybe @qtrain23 could do it

Doesn't amazon sell scanners - buy one scan all your stuff, return it in a couple days... if thats unmoral, then rent a 3d-scanner?

Username Hidden said:
Doesn't amazon sell scanners - buy one scan all your stuff, return it in a couple days... if thats unmoral, then rent a 3d-scanner?

I’ve looked at a few of those. I’m just not sure about the quality. Maybe I’ll rent one lol

Status
Not open for further replies.