• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Beater Split Jacket recoat project

Those came out great, what brand for the paint did you used? Trying to start a few project soon and how well does the clear coat holding up till today?

Just good ol' Rust-oleum spray cans from the big box orange hardware store! The technique was to spray the colors in a sequence in a bucket of water and carefully dip them in.
Got the idea from Youtube, figured I had enough paint thinner handy I wouldn't be out much. (very inexpensive and convenient for true beaters that most would've thrown away). Not the same quality as you'd get from the "gods" on the forum, but it was fun to do!

Those things are wild. I hope the finish holds up.

Thanks bro! They're fun. Finish and clear coat are holding up great so far through humid VA summer yard work sweat!

Last edited:
I'll add, the Split Jackets, with the pivoting jaw and nose pieces, I did not do a great job of masking everything off properly. Realized at the very end when reassembling, I had to use a x-acto to trim some away in these areas and around the ear stem hinges.

Just good ol' Rust-oleum spray cans from the big box orange hardware store! The technique was to spray the colors in a sequence in a bucket of water and carefully dip them in.
Got the idea from Youtube, figured I had enough paint thinner handy I wouldn't be out much. (very inexpensive and convenient for true beaters that most would've thrown away). Not the same quality as you'd get from the "gods" on the forum, but it was fun to do!

Thanks bro! They're fun. Finish and clear coat are holding up great so far through humid VA summer yard work sweat!
Thanks for the tip, surely miss rust-oleum spray can. And gotta find a beater pair.