• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Bending arms.....best way?

Seed65

Oakley Beginner
Hello,

I have a 2 pairs of Fives 2.0, one of which I bought recently. I love my original Fives 2.0 since they fit my face so well. I recall that my optometrist bent the arms a bit to conform to my head and to hold them in place better. I would like to bend my "new"used pair in the same way. I seem to recall that heat may have been applied to the arms to bend them. Any ideas?? Recommendations on bending the arms? Attached is a pic that shows the new and old Fives.

Thanks!!
image.jpg

I have no first hand experience with this but I can tell you I've seen people suggest a lot of things, the most common being slowing heating them up with a blow dryer/heat gun and very hot water (not boiling).

It's probably worth noting that the O-matter formulation may have changed somewhat since your first pair was altered, so what worked back then may not work now.

I was always told that you need to be really careful with Omatter as if heated the material will melt. It isn't like acetate where you can heat it up and adjust the fit.

I guess if you used low heat than you'd warp the material into shape. Not sure what it does to the integrity of the material though. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.

It may be my eyes,as I have had a drink but the base curve looks less on one..maybe ones an Asian fit?

Good day....

I decided to use the hot water method to bend the Fives 2.0 arms since it offered me a bit more control of the heat than the hair dryer method. The original bend in the arms seemed too loose especially at the back of the arms to my head.
I took my time and dipped the arms in one at a time into a pot of hot water that was just below boiling point. I left the arm in for about 30 sec and then bent the arms at certain points. I kept the bend in place for about a minute so the O-matter could cool. Worked fairly well as you can see in the before and after pics.

I actually created more of a bow bend in the arms but learned that more bend does not always translate into better adhesion to my head and actually created less contact. So I bent them back a bit.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks for the advice!

Hi

New to the forum, and was looking for advice on the very same problem I am having.

Has the bending you did with hot water remained, or have the arms returned to their original shape?

Thanks in advance for any info / feedback you can give on this.

Good post, by the way. Very helpful :)

I have a pair of Oakley Flack Jacket glasses. I left them in the sunglass compartment in my cars ceiling for a few months as I usually only wear them in the summer.

When I went to wear them this summer the arms had been completely flattened and straightened with no curve left. Is there a safe and DIY way to recurve the plastic arms? I see you can buy replacement Flak rubber pieces but not the entire arm itself. Looking for ideas here.

Yes....see my post above. It is safe!

I have a pair of Oakley Flack Jacket glasses. I left them in the sunglass compartment in my cars ceiling for a few months as I usually only wear them in the summer.

When I went to wear them this summer the arms had been completely flattened and straightened with no curve left. Is there a safe and DIY way to recurve the plastic arms? I see you can buy replacement Flak rubber pieces but not the entire arm itself. Looking for ideas here.

Latest Posts

Back