• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best fit lens for custom R1 cuts

Krank

Oakley Expert
Albany NY
I have had several custom cuts done for my R1s, Some customs fit better than others.
I realize the fit largely depends upon the person doing the cutting. However, if cut precisely
what donor lens comes closest to R1 oem fit?

I have had several custom cuts done for my R1s, Some customs fit better than others.
I realize the fit largely depends upon the person doing the cutting. However, if cut precisely
what donor lens comes closest to R1 oem fit?
Its not the donor as much the donor frame that the lens was cut after. If cut after an early Jordan frame pattern, they run small and make for a loose frame. Through trial and error i have pair of super cheap aftermarket lenses that have been the magical pattern for my R1s somehow they fit every pair.

Polarized donor go Big Taco, that simple @DrtyHarry might sell you a set. They are rare now.
Non polarized I like to use Plaintiff, Pit Bull, or Big Taco. Commit SQ is a little known secret that works. @dragonvoi does have a magic template, but those lenses thin and flimsy right!? Ten X lenses might still be available, very close cut.
Next best is really going turbine lenses... Great color choices too, trashed extra skill to cut. Just ask @kronin323 he's mentioned the potential base curve issues ad nauseum.
Cheers!

Thanks for the info guys. I have a few big taco cuts that fit ok, but the flex in the nose is a bit loose. I made a trade a while back for some custom bipolar, and recently installed them. The fit is spot on perfect....I need to find the guy I made the trade deal with, even lens thickness seems better without hardly a bevel.

Back