• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best for cycling - EVZero Range or Jaw breaker or something else?

Asheashe

Oakley Beginner
Hi, never purchased a pair of Oakleys before and looking to get a pair for cycling with deco dart usage for running.

Initially I looked at the jawbreakers but I seemed to be drawn to the newer EVZero range.

I've found these on Amazon for 78 gbp delivered which is cheaper than most retailers, and sold by Amazon directly so confident genuine.

My question is around the lens as the cheaper price is for planet x with positive red iridium lens. I've noticed some reviews make mention of prism lens - is this separate type or are all tv zero prism lens?

Also noticed only the plain black lens is polarized, is this normal for Oakley line or can you get collided polarized?

Have people used these for cycling? If so is it reccomendednoebare there better options? And any issues using for running also?

Thanks

Good morning Asheashe and welcome to the community.

I have been cycling with the Radar model for years now and swear by it. I have tried on the new EV Zero but do not have a pair yet, eventually I will and I will try them on the bike. I do not see them unseating the original Radars as my daily rider pair though.

I find I cannot cycle with frames that have a bottom frame on the orbitals (i.e. Jawbreaker and Racing Jacket). This bottom frame collects sweat and sprays it in my eyes and face as I move after a few miles. The Radar models (original, Radarlock, Radar XL, and the new EV zero) do not have this lower frame under the orbital.

I strongly recommend if you can going to an Oakley store and trying on various models as a starting point! If they fit then you can shop them on here or online! You will have exchange access soon with your membership and we have everything Oakley for sale in there!

Good luck and Happy Riding!!

;)

Definitely recommend you try them on before you buy.

The Zero is a sweet pair, but fairly limited in function - no lens swaps, first and foremost. Since there's no frame on most of the lens the only thing providing tension for the fit is the lens itself, so it won't be as snug as a Radar or Jawbreaker.

Prizm is a specific lens technology having to do with tints. If the lens doesn't have a Prizm tint, it's not a Prizm lens. Similarly with polarized - they can technically add it to anything (during lens production, not as an add-on), but only certain options are offered polarized.

I bought the EV Zero mainly for a fashion pair. My M Frames cover my sports needs.

I cannot cycle with frames that have a bottom frame on the orbitals...
The EV Zero does have the advantage of better vertical vision; important if you're using drop handlebars, and you've an old neck...
Radars have the disadvantage of being the most difficult of them all to swap lenses, M Frame being the easiest.

My M Frames cover my sports needs.
This.
The M is simple, stable, relatively cheap, bombproof, and has excellent peripheral and decent vertical visibility.

M Frames are life.

I use my jawbreakers while cycling though just because so many cyclists use it in my area and my pair is OCP. Want to show it off to those who will appreciate it!

Between those two, the Jawbreaker. The Zero actually wears more nicely imo, but isn't as practical. I know a certain doc here has been able to remove the lenses, but they weren't meant to do so and there's no replacement selection right now. You're essentially stuck with whatever frame color your desire lens comes with and vice-versa Handling the pair in general is more delicate. It's a really nice 2nd/3rd/etc option.

Another pair in the mix is the Radar EV. If you hate the idea of a lower rim, this has the most tried-and-true formula. It's a proper evolution of the original.

Radar EV vs. Jawbreaker is a toss up. One pair's advantages can be seen as a disadvantage depending on person; or, if you could get along with both, it's a close call. I use my Jawbreaker more often because of aesthetic, but I've rotated my EV in more frequently and I really feel like I'm using an equally-good pair. If one got axed I wouldn't be bothered as far functional selection goes.

Back