• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best grey/black lenses for shooting?

tannjj

Oakley Beginner
Hey guys, I'm new here. So I'm headed overseas and am trying to get a pair of rx si oakleys but the amount of lense options are staggering. I'd be wearing my ballistics while I'm outside the wire but I'd like to have something to wear around base and also as a set to take to the range when I get back home. Unfortunately Army regulation requires they be a dark shade (trying to avoid heavy reflection), so I'm trying to figure out what lenses I should go with.

So far I'm thinking either VR28 polarized or Tungsten Iridium polarized. Would these be decent choices for the range?

Anything with iridium will reflect (So probably against army regulations)
Gray Polarized would probably be my choice given the requirements as I'm not sure if that VR28 Polarized you mentioned is VR28 Black Iridium or just VR28.

SI will be gray, bronze or VR28 polarized. Non polarized will include dark gray and dark bronze in addidtion to the ones mentioned before in normal versions. Iridium is a no no last time I checked. Daily prizm polarized might also be doable and is a great lens

Last edited:
Anyone have a picture of the daily prizms? I've heard good things about that lense I just thought it was a red or blue reflective lense.

Anyone have a picture of the daily prizms? I've heard good things about that lense I just thought it was a red or blue reflective lense.
It looks a bit brownish from the outside, but the view through them is just slightly pinkish and it increases contrasts. If you check Oakley's si site you should find some pics.

I don't know about RX lenses or if their any different but its probably best to stay away from iridium anything.

If you had to choose, I would go with polarized grey.

As for the range in the states I would suggest you see if they make Prizm lenses. Those are great for shooting. I'm surprised they don't allow M- Ballistic Prizms.

So on the SI site, they don't offer prizm dailies for rx, only prizm road, baseball, golf, and trail.

I'm honestly kind of leaning towards the tungsten iridium polarized since they are a very dark brown color that I doubt anyone would give me trouble about. I've also heard good things about TIP.

Left lower romeos have custom cut Tungsten iridium in direct sunlight as an example. They do reflect some.

20160620_113827.jpg

Back