• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best lenses for all day beach wear?

I second the Prizm Black Polarized or Deep Water Polarized if you like your lenses with a grey base (neutral colour)

Other good options, with bronze base lenses, are the Shallow Water Polarized and Prizm Tungsten Polarized. They are not quite as dark but I've found they are awesome for scorching beach days when I'm back home in South Africa. They also enhance colour and contrast a little, especially greens.
SWP is rose base (and it's irridium coating cuts down the greens a bit).

Ah s***. My bad on the base colour. You're right looking through them again it's a very red-brown so must be rose.

Might just be my eyes but I find it does boost greens
The reduction in a specific hue of green causes the things like trees and grass to have more definition because it makes the slight hues differences more pronounced and discernable.

Tungsten definitely pops the green tho.

how does prizm daily compare to others with gray base? tungsten, prizm gray, black prizm?
Prizm Daily is actually Rose base, so it's a slight bit warm, but not as warm as Deep Water Polarized (both of which are very similar, just a tad more warmth and contrast on DWP). The slight rose will also cause reds/etc to pop a bit more just not as much as the stronger bases (shallow water polarized or Trail for example).

I personally found Prizm Daily to be more desirable as a "neutral" everyday lens versus Prizm Sapphire (a grey base).

4 gray base, how about gold, 24k,dark bronze in bright light yet see in shadows (driving)? /i read tungsten is bronze base.
Tungsten Polarized (which I love) I use for brighter days but still somewhat suitable for cloudy and overcast but not as useful as Trail as it gets denser. It's definitely warm, though not quite as 'golden hour all day' like Shallow Water Polarized but gets there later in the day, greens really seem to pop from it, as does some reds/yellow/orange.

24K Polarized which I also have is a bit more muted compared to Tungsten, and is better in brighter conditions than Tungsten, it's not as warm and tends to lean slightly more green in the overall tint (likely due to all that yellow being reflected away in the mirror finish).

Rose Gold which I don't care for at all, is not as high a contrast as 24K and tends to go even more green/purple in appearance behind the lens, so much so that I returned the Savitar that I had in that lens.

Ruby is also a Bronze base, but because of the very red reflective coating on front, the overall appearance is much colder than all the ones above, it's not my favorite lens and I plan on selling it (from my Holbrook XL), some people do like the cooler look, and really like the appearance from the front.

Of all the options above if you want a bronze base for maximum contrast, but still need to see when it gets cloudy or moments of shaded, particularly with driving. Tungsten polarized is going to be your best bet (it also lets in more light than Prizm Daily or DWP).

Edit: To Clarify, Tungsten, 24K, Rose Gold, and Ruby are all 'bronze' base.

Latest Posts

Back