• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best Lenses For Cloudy/night Baseball Games

@Rustpot as a side question - what optical benefit do the clear lenses give? Like the Clear / Ruby for example?
Facial protection. They do remove a slight amount of transmission, I think the normal clear is a 96% or something.

I have a set of clear photochromic I wear at work, mostly indoors. They're lightly reflective, more than a standard clear lens, and they're nicer to wear inside where we use the large LED panels in the shop.

Coated clear (titanium clear, ruby clear) are half fashion, half function. The iridium coating does cut down on glare a decent amount. It's hard to really qualify. It's one of the reasons I really don't like Oakley's darker non-iridium lenses such as Warm Grey. My eyes are sensitive, so any glare I can eliminate helps. I keep a lot of polarized around for daily wear, as well.

This weekend I'll see if I have an iridium and non iridium near the same transmission level and base color to do a photo comparison with. I don't think I do, most everything I have is iridium and I don't have any HI variants of yellow/persimmon or coated clears. Best I can do is probably VR28 vs Blue, but that's a big jump in transmission levels at 13%. Slate vs. Grey is only a 5% difference, that might be the ticket.

Back