• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best lenses or set of lenses for all running/biking conditions?

cmac3317

Oakley Beginner
Hi, new forum member here, I have a pair of Mainlink XL's with Prizm polarized black lenses that I love for everyday wear/driving/etc. I've been using them for everything since I got them about a year ago, but I recently moved to an area where I have a greenway trail just down the road that has a lot of tree cover. I'm often running or biking on that trail around either dawn or dusk in addition to commuting on my bike as much as possible. I find the Prizm polarized black lenses to be too dark to use in lower light situations but I like still having protection, so I'd like to pick up a pair of Oakleys specifically for running and biking with lenses that can cover all conditions.

I've spent too much time already reading reviews, so I figured I'd post here. If I'm looking to get a pair of Oakleys specifically for running and biking in all lighting conditions, what would your suggestion be (frame and lenses)?

Based on what I've read, I'm wondering specifically:

1. Should I go with photocromic lenses or a single frame with a clear lens and another, darker lens?
2. If multiple lenses, polarized or non-polarized for the darker lenses? I've always much preferred polarized (especially while driving), but I've also always used the same pair of sunglasses for everything.
3. Is there a Prizm lens that would cover all of this? I've read good reviews on the Trail and Trail Torch lenses, but I'm not sure that they'd be great for dawn/dusk on a trail (or bright sunlight, for that matter).

I have a larger head and I'm leaning toward the Flak 2.0 XL frame because I think I'd prefer something that would look relatively normal for everyday wear (as I'll be commuting to work often on my bike), but I'd appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

If you want the minimum spend the best is photocromic and another lens about 15% transmission like Road Jade for very sunny days. Road (20%) is similar to photocromic when is active. No polarized for road ir mountain biking is better because you will see potholes quicker. I think Trail is very good if you do not have sensitive eyes but is not for very sunny days and not for dusk at 36%, or Torch at 35%

I’d recommend going into a store and trying different lenses out. If you are looking for ‘all conditions’ you will probably need to try a few lenses to see what works for you.

Thanks for the replies! I didn't even think to check if there was an Oakley store in my town (I just recently moved), but there is, so I'll go check some stuff out there. I'm leaning toward getting a frame with changeable lenses and getting a clear lens with whatever other one I decide on. If anyone else has another particular "all conditions" lens you'd suggest, please feel free to comment, thanks!

Thanks for the replies! I didn't even think to check if there was an Oakley store in my town (I just recently moved), but there is, so I'll go check some stuff out there. I'm leaning toward getting a frame with changeable lenses and getting a clear lens with whatever other one I decide on. If anyone else has another particular "all conditions" lens you'd suggest, please feel free to comment, thanks!
Be careful brother, Oakley stores are like that “Hotel California” song… 😳

perhaps try dark golf for an all around lens for sport.
Another might be prizm violet - nothings "pops" but they are fairly good as a warm feeling grey/brown

Back