• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Best Parenting Tips?

Loved being my dad's assistant, when he worked on cars and fixed things around the house.
When working around the home, make them help you as much as possible EVEN IF MAKES TASKS GO LONGER.

hold a light, grab a tool, fetch ingredients, etc.

it teaches them to do work without being told.
If you’ve never been yelled at for holding the light in the wrong spot, did you actually help?

I don’t like the idea of hiding stuff or tricking kids. I explain everything I’m doing and why. I’ll calmly answer any questions they have. If they want to have a tantrum or break the rules, fine, now you get punished. I’d cut service and change the wifi password for a month. Then we can start again.
When working around the home, make them help you as much as possible EVEN IF MAKES TASKS GO LONGER.

hold a light, grab a tool, fetch ingredients, etc.

it teaches them to do work without being told.
* No communication devices ( phone, tablet or computer ) or TVs in the bedroom.

Nothing that disrupts sleep.

My wife and I have had this same rule since we've been a couple.
Possess excellent coping skills.
Added

lolol

but seriously…read the new parent manual. what to expect when… even tells you how to change a diaper and experienced parents know, there is a very, very wrong way of changing a diaper.

finally, don't be that rookie parent of little ones that doesn't have backup clothes for their kids or themselves. even worse, the parents who look SOOO good like they gonna show up at a photo shoot and their kids look like garbage pail kids.

45E8FB3A-6F92-4C38-B472-245161C0ACF3.jpeg

lolol

but seriously…read the new parent manual. what to expect when… even tells you how to change a diaper and experienced parents know, there is a very, very wrong way of changing a diaper.

finally, don't be that rookie parent of little ones that doesn't have backup clothes for their kids or themselves. even worse, the parents who look SOOO good like they gonna show up at a photo shoot and their kids look like garbage pail kids.

View attachment 932453
That looks like a torture device

I'm in a unique situation. I met my step kids when they were 6 and 7. Now my kids are 30 and 31.

Biggest thing I learned is if you say it, mean it. "Stop it or I will send you to your room" means if they don't stop, you send them to their room. Build the trust now. It pays later.

Next biggest is that sometimes taking care of them means letting them fall, get hurt, and pick themselves up. Applies to all ages. There won't always be a safety net. Teach them to take care of themselves.

Last big one is to let them know, no matter what, you still love em. That doesn't mean they get what they want, or that you do it for them. It means you are their parent and always love them.

I'm in a unique situation. I met my step kids when they were 6 and 7. Now my kids are 30 and 31.

Biggest thing I learned is if you say it, mean it. "Stop it or I will send you to your room" means if they don't stop, you send them to their room. Build the trust now. It pays later.

Next biggest is that sometimes taking care of them means letting them fall, get hurt, and pick themselves up. Applies to all ages. There won't always be a safety net. Teach them to take care of themselves.

Last big one is to let them know, no matter what, you still love em. That doesn't mean they get what they want, or that you do it for them. It means you are their parent and always love them.
Added

Nailed it. Hope they appreciate the gift you gave them.

I would imagine, that as a non-biological parent, it’s even tougher, because someone else may have already had a more positive/more negative influence, and there might even be more questions as to your motives at times.

Latest Posts

Back