• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best Practices For Removing And Reinstalling Icons?

Mr X Metal

Oakley Expert
I have a few pairs of flak jackets and fuel cells that I plan to either paint myself or send off to have custom work done.

What are the best techniques of removal as well as reinstalling the icons? I keep seeing super glue--but that seems like it would make them very difficult to remove if I decide to re-do them at a later date.

Flaks are easy. They just pop off with your nail because they sit raised from the frame. Use double sided tape to re-apply.

Fuel cells and any others heat the frames for a bit - I put them on a radiator. Once they're warm the glue weakens then poke out with a knife. Again double sided tape to reapply.

Neil

I run the frame under warm/hot water and use a very small needle to gently lift the icon out. 9 times out of 10 I can get the original glue to stay on the icon. I then set the icons on the sticky side of 3m blue painters tape to either paint or store..
Here is a wind jacket I just did. Used original adhesive.
20140716_215735.jpg

Since I started using cerakote I've had to remove the icons from probably about 30 pairs of glasses. The method that I found works best is to get a blow dryer in heat the inside part of the ARM behind the icon for about 45 seconds to 1 minute getting it nice and hot then use a small needle or what I use is a small flat head screwdriver for my lens repair kit and the icons usually come off without losing any of the adhesive. You do not want to use the blow dryer on the icon side because then it will heat up the adhesive on the wrong side and it will actually peel away from the icon instead of peeling away from the frames.

Once you get them off you will need a place to put them. Take a piece of clear packing tape and stick it to a piece of paper then place the icons on the tape making sure you are sticking them on the non sticky side of it. It will create a surface similar to that that a sticker is stuck on so that it peels right off without your Adhesive

Last edited:
Back