• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best Prizm Lens For Daily Use

Electronaut

Oakley Enthusiast
USA
Black Iridium Prizm, Deep Water Prizm, Maritime Prizm, Prizm Daily, or another Polarized Prizm lens and why?

It's really subjective and dependent upon weather conditions. For me though...

For bright sun: Prizm Deep
For overcast/rain: Prizm Shallow
Partly to mostly cloudy: Prizm Daily

Best all arounder/most versatile: Prizm Maritime

Note that I also like contrast lenses and must have polarized. Also, haven't tried Prizm black and some of the newer Prizm variants.

It's really subjective and dependent upon weather conditions. For me though...

For bright sun: Prizm Deep
For overcast/rain: Prizm Shallow
Partly to mostly cloudy: Prizm Daily

Best all arounder/most versatile: Prizm Maritime

Note that I also like contrast lenses and must have polarized. Also, haven't tried Prizm black and some of the newer Prizm variants.

I think I'll get more out of a versatile lens right now as I have BIP for very bright sunny days. I prefer a darker lens no matter the conditions, and I may eventually upgrade my BIP to BIP prizm if I like it. How do you like the Maritime, @Oak Heel and why is it the best all around lens?

I think I'll get more out of a versatile lens right now as I have BIP for very bright sunny days. I prefer a darker lens no matter the conditions, and I may eventually upgrade my BIP to BIP prizm if I like it. How do you like the Maritime, @Oak Heel and why is it the best all around lens?

It's contrasty, polarized, and works in both cloudy and sunny conditions (for me at least). It also looks amazing from the outside.

Like you, I generally prefer darker lenses as long as they have some contrast to brighten up a dreary day.

Just bought a Drop Point with Black Prizm Polarized lenses, coming from an Oakley with regular BIP. Still getting used to the increased contrast, but overall I'm starting to like it more and more. Also seems to block out a similar amount of light, though things appear brighter. Haven't had to squint at all yet, and I live in CO where the sun gets very bright.

Something interesting to note is that the polarization of my new lens appears to work a bit better with phone and car-infotainment screens. They're easier to see now vs. my prior BIP where I essentially had to take them off to see the screens (particularly the one in my car).

Just bought a Drop Point with Black Prizm Polarized lenses, coming from an Oakley with regular BIP. Still getting used to the increased contrast, but overall I'm starting to like it more and more. Also seems to block out a similar amount of light, though things appear brighter. Haven't had to squint at all yet, and I live in CO where the sun gets very bright.

Something interesting to note is that the polarization of my new lens appears to work a bit better with phone and car-infotainment screens. They're easier to see now vs. my prior BIP where I essentially had to take them off to see the screens (particularly the one in my car).

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of people saying that lately - where Oakley has switched the polarization technology to make screens easier to see. I'm curious though, if the BIP Prizm has a higher LT% than standard BIP. Any comparisons I've seen, the Prizm version looks ever so slightly brighter (maybe from the increased contrast?). Does the BIP Prizm still stay pretty neutral overall to your eyes despite increased Prizm contrast compared to something like a Prizm Daily?

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of people saying that lately - where Oakley has switched the polarization technology to make screens easier to see. I'm curious though, if the BIP Prizm has a higher LT% than standard BIP. Any comparisons I've seen, the Prizm version looks ever so slightly brighter (maybe from the increased contrast?). Does the BIP Prizm still stay pretty neutral overall to your eyes despite increased Prizm contrast compared to something like a Prizm Daily?

It's less neutral. Greens appear more saturated; there is a very slight tint given to everything (pinkish?), which I think is what mainly causes increased contrast. It's not as neutral as a trusty BI/BIP, but not very far off. It's noticeable though. And I believe the Daily Prizm is a bit more extreme than the Black Prizm (which I have now), but I haven't compared them side by side.

Could very well be that LT% is a bit higher than BIP. BIP is rated at 9% and Daily Prizm at 14%, so the Black Prizm is probably somewhere in between (no official numbers yet though). Maybe 10-12%. But otherwise the increased contrast should aid with the illusion of more brightness.

Anyway, they're starting to grow on me.

Here is how Tungsten Prizm looks when you see through it on a cloudy day in India

IMG_3206.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

Back