• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best Way To Ship Oakleys

OpinionatedOakley

Oakley Expert
Since sunglasses are fairly light weight, they often come in under the 13oz maximum for 1st Class shipping. 1st Class is a 2-5 day service, so in times of low shipping volume (like not around a holiday), this method is just as fast as Priority, but half the price.

However, there is no option on the USPS website for 1st class shipping. What do?

If you have a paypal account, you can print USPS labels through paypal and pay with your paypal balance. It also has a 1st class option.
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

Don't forget to donate to the OpinionatedOakley Foundation for USPS Shipping Option Awareness. Pins and little ribbon thingies available upon request.

It definitely depends on distance, IMO. And there are times when you want it there in 2 or 3 days, cross country lol. When I mail something in-state or to a neighboring state, I mostly do first class.

I got your shipment of lenses yesterday intact and in good condition, shipped first class in a mailer.
I would think that you would want to ship pairs in a real cardboard box. The box that Oakley uses for single pairs weighs 2.8 ounces, your mailer weighed .7 ounces.
Unfortunately I don't have a complete boxed pair here at work but I can see where using a box- which I would prefer for protection of a complete pair- could bump the shipment over the first class 13 oz threshold and force the shipment to priority. In a vacuum though, I can see where time and service for first class compared to priority would be a better value.
No $50 insurance on First Class though but $50 included with priority and the boxes are free with priority also.
My .2 (ounces lol)

Boxes are 35cents and weigh about 2oz. I can ship a NIB pair of o-matter frames @ 5oz for $2.25. It's not insured, but good luck getting USPS to pay up on a claim anyway. I'm sure it happens sometimes....

but good luck getting USPS to pay up on a claim anyway.
And it's only $50. Certainly not worth the effort that a quasi-government agency would make you go through to get $50. You could get a free phone easier.
Remember that letter that they sent out when a trailer going to Canada caught fire? They stated that they don't normally do it but that they would make an exception and refund postage.
That was BIG of them!

Where can you get a box for a quarter?
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-4062/Corrugated-Boxes-200-Test/6-x-6-x-6-Corrugated-Boxes

$0.29 ea, 200 pound test 6" cube. We keep a stack at work, I use them for most single-pair shipments. They all go USPS First Class without issue. Step up to the 8" cube if you have a larger item. The 5" cube is $0.25 and might work, but I find the 6" is about good for a well padded pair in sideways.

A whole helluva lot cheaper than buying USPS flat rate cubes or trying to reuse a used box. Get new, tape the seams, pack it with nice foam (IF YOU USE CRUMPLED PAPER I WILL CUT YOU), send it off. If the pair is over $100 I'll go Priority with insurance. Most anything else will just go First Class for $3 or so.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-4062/Corrugated-Boxes-200-Test/6-x-6-x-6-Corrugated-Boxes

$0.29 ea, 200 pound test 6" cube. We keep a stack at work, I use them for most single-pair shipments. They all go USPS First Class without issue. Step up to the 8" cube if you have a larger item. The 5" cube is $0.25 and might work, but I find the 6" is about good for a well padded pair in sideways.

A whole helluva lot cheaper than buying USPS flat rate cubes or trying to reuse a used box. Get new, tape the seams, pack it with nice foam (IF YOU USE CRUMPLED PAPER I WILL CUT YOU), send it off. If the pair is over $100 I'll go Priority with insurance. Most anything else will just go First Class for $3 or so.
Thanks for the heads up! Better than paying $2 at Office Depot.

Latest Posts

Back