• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Better To Move Homes Or Jobs?

Which is better to do more often - move homes or move jobs?

• move homes

• move jobs

Results are only viewable after voting.

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
The other day driving home I was listening to a radio ad of some real estate guy encouraging listeners to use him to sell your home and buy a new one. One of the reasons why one would want to do so that he listed was for a shorter commute. That got me thinking...

In the workplace, especially the professional workplace, the days when working 30 years for the same company then retiring was the norm are long gone. On the contrary, many these days use job-jumping as their method of career advancement; if they stay at the same place longer than five years they feel like they're stagnating...

So what hit me about that ad was the idea that you'd move (and we're not talking about renting but buying houses) just to get a little closer to whatever office you're working out of this year. I mean, seems like your home would be the more static location and if the commute was a problem you'd be more likely to try to find another job better located, right?

Or maybe not - the practice where you live in a "family home" for a single generation, much less multiple generations, is becoming more rare. Instead, you see more of what the ad was hawking - buy a place, live there 5 - 10 years, upgrade, repeat.

So I wanted to poll you forum members to see which way the consensus wind is blowing, just out of curiosity:

Which is better to do more often - move homes or move jobs?

There's no right or wrong answer here, just opinions. I would prefer you to choose one over the other, though; no "both" or "neither" answers...

Feel free to post your thoughts on the subject but, if you do so, please participate in the poll as well.

Thanks!!!

Dont they say you should change jobs every 3-4 years unless you get promoted to make your resume look better anyway? Moving, tearing down and setting all my stuff up is a PAIN!

I bought a house that was exactly what I wanted. It's going to take a hell of a lot to get me out of that place.

Dont they say you should change jobs every 3-4 years unless you get promoted to make your resume look better anyway?

And you only need a "better" looking resume when you're changing jobs? :D

Moving, tearing down and setting all my stuff up is a PAIN!

You got that right. But it also creates an opportunity to offload some clutter every 10 years - you never realize how much junk you really have until you have to move it all from point A to point B! :eek:

(I'm not arguing one way or the other, just discussing points for consideration...)

And you only need a "better" looking resume when you're changing jobs? :D

You got that right. But it also creates an opportunity to offload some clutter every 10 years - you never realize how much junk you really have until you have to move it all from point A to point B! :eek:

(I'm not arguing one way or the other, just discussing points for consideration...)
1800GOTJUNK.

Back