• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Beware of Buying Watches That Need A New Battery

I bought a Minute Machine stating it needed a new battery. When I got it it was working perfectly. I think the buyer may not have that the second hand only runs when the chronometer is activated. Its still running a year and 1/2 later. If I was to sell one it would have a new battery, not only piece of mind for the buyer, but the seller as well. I wouldn't want a return from the buyer after he has taken it to Joe Blows Fast Fix.
Good point. After the buyer takes it to the Kiosk at the mall to get a new battery and the clerk strips the screwholes and scratches the the crystal. True story on a Diesel Watch I had years ago. That's how I winded up being friends with my jeweler. No more kiosks.

You don't have to worry about automatic watches having a battery blow out and make a mess;) all joking aside I completely understand your frustration. Had the same issue only to come find out the movement was completely shot and needed a replacement. That was my last and final purchase on eBay. Yes I did ask all the questions prior to purchasing and I was still lied to. Some people just want to make a quick buck :(
Yes very true. I hear ya on asking questions. I did the same, was told it worked perfectly a month ago and only needed a battery. Also, claimed no scratches and of course the band had multiple scratches on at least 4 links. That's essentially what happened to mine. I only had to pay for parts. I think I paid $165 for the watch so in the end it wasn't a deal. I have been looking for a deal on a Double Tap Stealth but there's no way I'm dropping $700 for an ebay special.

Last edited:
If anyone lives in SoCal you can take your watch to Oakley HQ and have any battery replaced, even if it's still working. I bought a couple of MM recently, one that the battery was dead. I took them both into Lake Forest customer service and they replaced both batteries and checked them out when they were open.

Anyone selling a watch with a disclaimer that it needs a new battery is flat out lazy. Give the buyer peace of mind and get a new one installed and provide a receipt to show the work was done by a qulified person. I wil never understand people.

How will the buyer know it was done by a qualified person?

How will the buyer know it was done by a qualified person?
I'm not talking about a receipt from the kiosk at Sears. I'm talking about a reputable name like Oakley HQ, perhaps a jeweler or watch repair place. At least I could call and research who they are. I wouldn't be very comfortable if it wound up being some retailer that just sells watch batteries and has no real credentials on a handwritten receipt.

For quartz watches I only have trust in 2, Mike at HQ and me. With autos I will only take it to where Oakley sends them to, Hayes Jewelers. Not to far from HQ.

Back