• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Big Time Score!

RetinaBurn

Oakley Expert
California
After the last few trips to my local Vault proved to be disappointing (selection was terrible), I was happily surprised to find that my latest trip was worthwhile. I was able to pick up the Matte Clear/Ice Iridium Oil Rig, just to finish out my 2009 Holiday Collection. I also found the Science Fuel Cells in Dark Grey/Emerald Iridium and the Matte Black/Violet Iridium and I was pleasantly surprised to find a Titanium Spike in Matte Black/Black Iridium too. Spent more money than I expected to, but it’s always easy to justify spending it on Oakley. ;)

Oil Rig-Matte Clear/Ice Iridium

Spike Titanium-Matte Black/Black Iridium

Fuel Cell Science-Matte Black/Violet Iridium

Fuel Cell Science-Dark Grey/Emerald Iridium

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen those Holiday Oil Rig's in awhile, were those DE or regular discontinued? All the other items I've seen at the local Vault.

The Oil Rigs were DE I believe. They are in excellent condition. I couldn't pass them up, since I already own the other two pair. I love the Oil Rigs so it was an easy call.

Oakley_Sight said:
What is the fit of the spike like compaired to the monster dog?

Completely, and totally different. Spikes are heavy sitting on the face, even the Ti's after a while (imo). Its a pair you really just have to try on for yourself.

Nice pickups man.

As wrist said, it's hard to compare the two, Titanium vs. O Matter. I like the the fit of the Spike and the coverage for me is great. I'm not a big fan of the Monster Dog (I don't even own a pair) so I can't really compare the two. The Titanium version is about 39% lighter than it C-5 counterpart. Just for reference, the Titanium Spike is about 2 grams lighter than the Felon.

I'm almost a bit embarrassed to ask this, but i'm gonna ask anyway:

What's so special about the "Exclusive Science" Fuel cells? Is it just another special limited colorway? Any meaning behind it?

I saw both the green and the purple at a vault but didn't buy since i didn't think much of them.

SpliceD said:
I'm almost a bit embarrassed to ask this, but i'm gonna ask anyway:

What's so special about the "Exclusive Science" Fuel cells? Is it just another special limited colorway? Any meaning behind it?

I saw both the green and the purple at a vault but didn't buy since i didn't think much of them.

Each year for the past 3? I believe, Oakley has done a holiday set of sunglasses. In 2009, Oakley did the Holiday Oil Rigs which consisted of the frost blue, matte clear with ice, and matte clear/text with black iridium. The Exclusive Science set of 3 Fuel Cells is the holiday limited edition Oakley put out for the 2010 Holiday season. That is what they are. There are the matte black with violet, matte dark grey with emerald and matte white with chrome. The only difference is the colorway and they all have the science molecule earstems. They are technically a limited edition, but according to some O reps and what I've seen at the vault stores, etc. they apparently did not sell very well. Personally, I have all 3 of them and absolutely love them all. I'm really surprised they didn't do as well as the holiday oil rigs which were sold out within a few weeks in 2009.

They didn't sell all pairs of the frost blue oil rigs at the time I saw the pair late last year. I didn't even look to see if they were still at the store a week ago.