• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Black Iridium Polarized Or OO Black Iridium Polarized

This thread is right up my alley. I'm scouring to put together a new set of jawbones and have narrowed the lenses to OO Black Iridium or VR28 Black Iridium (both polarized). As I interpret comments here, the OO's seem to be a little more conservative - less rosey or bronze.

I wish I could use Oakley's lens tint viewing tool (on their website) to compare the two, but OO Black Iridium isn't listed. Has this lens been discontinued? Is there an alternative that would look close in their current lineup for my comparison?

Thanks,

you can see the OO Black Iridium lens tint on this page:

Oakley Polarized X Squared Sunglasses available at the online Oakley store

Since this was brought back up, I should say that 99% of the time I wear the OO Black Iridium, I rarely grab my VR28 or Black Iridium Glasses, I honestly need to get a custom OO Black Iridium lens for my Juliets at some point. I have the OO lenses for my Split Jackets and X Squared and the X Squared are the pair I wear them most..

The Base is different for each lens, VR28 is VR28 Base and the OO Black uses a G40 base, each with the Black iridium tint. To compound the issue further Titanium iridium is Bronze base with a Black iridium, have you tried Ti I have liked it alot.

Jeff, thanks for showing me the link! I'm now comparing the two (OO vs. VR28) using Oakley's preview tool. I know it's no substitute for actually trying, but I don't think I can make it back to the store.

I understand the OO is a desirable lens; just not sure if I'm a rose color glasses guy. I have looked through them in a store.

The VR28 seems more sepia, and I think that may suit me. I know it is still rose but it doesn't seem as rosey as the OO. I currently have gold iridium and if the VR28 is slightly less brown than those it would be ideal.

The Base is different for each lens, VR28 is VR28 Base and the OO Black uses a G40 base, each with the Black iridium tint. To compound the issue further Titanium iridium is Bronze base with a Black iridium, have you tried Ti I have liked it alot.

Yes I had a Ti on a pair of Juliets, I did not care for them and for me not dark enough. the Vr28 BIP takes a bit of getting use to but I found the OO is much subtle with the contrast then Ti or Vr28 BIP

Jeff, thanks for showing me the link! I'm now comparing the two (OO vs. VR28) using Oakley's preview tool. I know it's no substitute for actually trying, but I don't think I can make it back to the store.

I understand the OO is a desirable lens; just not sure if I'm a rose color glasses guy. I have looked through them in a store.

The VR28 seems more sepia, and I think that may suit me. I know it is still rose but it doesn't seem as rosey as the OO. I currently have gold iridium and if the VR28 is slightly less brown than those it would be ideal.

I find that the Rose part I only notice in certain lighting conditions, if I put them on before walking outside, I see the rose in them but outside they are great.

I also think ( have not had a chance to verify) that the OO BIP to me help me from getting headaches when outside for an extended period in the sunlight. I always thought is was the tint level, the BIP are darker and were my lens of choice, but now I have to say OO BIP for sure.

I have gold in a couple pairs and it's really not that great of the lens choice. The big benefit is the low transmission for how bright it feels. VR28 definitely looks more balanced and doesn't wash out colors like gold does. Even though gold is technically a contrast lens I don't feel it does a good job of that.

I haven't owned G- based lenses other than G26, so I can't comment on them, but I do love wearing my VR50, VR28, and VR28 Black Iridium Polarized lenses quite a bit. I wish they offered more VR28 polarized lens choices.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got a pair of Jawbones with the VR28 Black Iridium Polarized lenses. Rode with them yesterday - wonderful! Just the right amount of rose tint. Better definition of colors than the Gold Iridium I previously used.

I would get OO if you can as I consider it one of the companys better lenses. Its, IMO, NOT as extreme as VR28...but very close. The color looking through them is different (its a G40 base so it has this rose/violet tint) and, to my eyes, took some getting used to-but I like it. The primary advantage in my experience of OO to VR28 is that is essentially performs LIKE VR28 in most regards-but with the eye hiding and exterior appearance properties of Black Iridium Polarized.
So does vr28 BIP not have any eye hiding? What is more relaxing to look through?

Back