• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Black Iridium Polarized Vs Vr28 Black Iridium Polarized?

How are the two lens compared to tungsten iridium polarized?
84BDF89F-E569-415E-83C8-72B59A6F972C-352-00000035919C3B4E.jpg
. To be used in this frame....
4c65096b4243d8247fabffd591783da7.jpg

VR28 Polarized wins literally everytime. I like BIP, but the VR28 is a much more practical lens suited for many more scenarios than BIP.

but VR28 polarized light transmission is 16%
I've see many different tables, but I think VR28BIP is around 10%. The VR28 polarized (no iridium coating) is around 16%. Many different variations, I really like both BIP looks "cooler" because you can't see your eyes at all, VR28BIP is more functional IMO.

I'm pretty sure he meant VR28 BIP and yes, we've all seen that tint table before, many of us have it almost memorized...

But it's not all about light transmission %; it's also about base tint. BIP with 9% trans and a neutral grey base is only suitable for bright sunny conditions. At 10% VR28 BIP is almost the same trans but the contrast base tint makes it suitable for a much wider range of light conditions.

Which is why there's no "best" lens; it depends on the environment you're using them in. Having a collection with a variety of lenses allows one to pick the best match for whatever the weather is like that day, even gloomy rain... Instead of just reading specs from a page, try them all out and judge for yourself.

BTW this thread has been dead for over a year and a half. It's not an official rule but many frown upon reviving threads that old, depending on the circumstances... Same thing with making the exact same post again and again on different threads...

Just bought VR28s to replace BIP, look forward to providing feedback, although will take a while as coming to Scotland from the USA.

This is an older thread, but helped me so much; thank you! Have had Black Iridium (not polarized) for over a decade in my Juliets. Lenses are peeling, and Oakley is several months behind in getting inventory, so I bought VR28 BIP on eBay to try out. I'm nervous about the brown tint in terms of the overall look/appearance, but looking forward to some more contrast. And my old Black Iridium just look so bad ass ;-). Hopefully being polarized won't be annoying while driving due to the windshield and instrument panel effects. I'm noticed this with my Flak 2.0 Prizms. BUT wanted to breathe some new life into my Juliets, so looking forward to this experiment. All of your feedback was so helpful!

Back