• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Black Iridium Polarized Vs Vr28 Black Iridium Polarized?

well depends on what your going to be doing with the glasses. Black Iridium Polarized is going to be the darkest lens and block out the most sunlight. VR28 Black Iridium Polarized is on a brown base which means its going to give you good contrast, this will make things pop more, it will also help on more overcast day. Both are awesome lenses so to say one is better is hard since they both have things they do good. comes down to what you wanna wear yourself

Hello, although technically they are similar, there are only 8% in terms of light absorption and the Black Iridium goes for almost everything, VR28 Black Iridium, with its tone brown - maroon makes perception of light is very balanced and homogeneous to the eye. Successful with either, my preference is the VR28 Black Iridium, and if it is polarized, the better.

In terms of blocking out light.. Blk Irid Plz lets through 9% light whereas Vr28 lets through 10% so there isnt alot of difference..

The guys above me said the rest about the contrast. Vr28 would be better for most sports as it increases your contrast. Black literally makes everything darker.

But obviously, it depends what you want..

adz

I have some of both and personally, I don't like the VR28. However, I have a friend with several pairs of the VR28 and it's his favorite lens. Personally, I don't like the brown tint in them. So, again, it's all in what you prefer.

Vr28 is actually a VeRmilion or rose base. Which as stated above is great for contrast. The advantage or VR28 Black Iridium or Black Iridium is the wider spectrum of light conditions in which it can be used. Black Iridium's sole purpose is to make things darker and block light transmission. While VR28 has these same properties it is a better all around lens. Unless you're using it in extremely bright sunny conditions always opt for VR28 Black Iridium over Black Iridium. And of course going polarized is an added plus!!

"Hello, although technically they are similar, there are only 8% in terms of light absorption and the Black Iridium goes for almost everything, VR28 Black Iridium, with its tone brown - maroon makes perception of light is very balanced and homogeneous to the eye. Successful with either, my preference is the VR28 Black Iridium, and if it is polarized, the better."

In my previous post I said that Black Iridium and VR28 Black Iridium had a difference of 8% light transmission ... correct, but the issue is polarized.
The difference is 1% ... I feel the error (my first post and I am wrong .. ufff).

In my opinion I prefer the VR28 Black Iridium Polarized.

@corinejenelle -- VR28 is not on a rose base. Lenses like G30, G20, G20 Black iridium, G26 etc etc use the rose base lense.

The lenses are quite different in many regards. The light transmission on the polarized versions is essentially the same however, as others have noted, there are huge differences between the Black which is a straight and neutral darkening lens and the VR28 which is a contrast lens. The VR28 makes things pop more and is much much more versatile-I can wear the VR28 on overcast days due to the contrast whereas the minute the sun goes behind some fog or a cloud, I have to take off anything with Black installed in it.

From a "looking at it" perspective I have heard complaints about the outer color of the VR28 (that its brown and doesn't go with any frames or clothes) but that is really a matter of what its installed in-on my Pit Boss you can't even tell its brown...it just looks like a lighter black. Black is, well, REALLY Black...it looks really slick and sinister and I can't imagine not having at least one pair of glasses in your collection with this installed because of this. From a "looking through it" perspective, the VR28 is the better lens to MY eyes-I like the contrast, I like how it makes it easier to see things in shadow and see the lines between shadows and light, how brighter colored cars jump off the pavement and how soothing the color tone is.

If someone told me I could only have one, it would be the VR28 easily-its the much more all around and versatile lens that can be used in a wider variety of conditions and, at least for my eyes, improves my vision more than the Black does.

In my opinion, VR28 Black Polarized is the best lens you can get. It offers the low light transmission rate of a dark lens, with the contrast of a light lens. You can't ask for much more. And so it's clear, the lens itself is just a VR28 base lens with a Black Iridium coating. It won't look brown from the front unless light is getting in from the sides or behind. And like someone said, VR28 is a red/rose based lens, not brown. That would be Bronze/Gold Iridium/Titanium Iridium. VR28 actually gets its' name from the color vermillion paired with its transmission rate, 28%.

Latest Posts

Back