• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Blue Anodized Penny's

midwestbroncosfan

Oakley Expert
MN
I recently came across someone selling a pair of Blue Anodized Penny's. Has anyone ever seen this? I know X-Man can do some great make-overs, but wasn't sure about this.

I think a lot of us are going to recently across these and I was expecting this to have come from that seller out in Nevada.
As with any other custom it will speak to some folks and how loudly remains to be seen. Its an interesting take though!

That Penny looks like someone blasted the front of the pair with a rattle can. If not then definitely a garage anodizing job IMHO....Looks to be no color anywhere but on the front of the orbitals.....

That Penny looks like someone blasted the front of the pair with a rattle can. If not then definitely a garage anodizing job IMHO....Looks to be no color anywhere but on the front of the orbitals.....

I was thinking the EXACT same thing! It will be interesting to see what it ends up going for. I won't be bidding.

Well, here is the response I got.

I had them anodized at a race shop in Golden CO called TEC, turbo engineering corp. they can be anodized a variety of different colors, but not Every color, since they are Titanium. The process works by supplying a specific DC current through the part inside an electrolyte solution, usually just TSP. I watched them do the whole thing it was very interesting, as they change the voltage, the color changes!

Prepping the metal will also make a huge impact on the finish. Based on the pics it appears to me they didn't prep the frame well enough. There is another prep process to get the titanium frame to hold a great finish.

Back