• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

BMX Chrome Advice

Velocette

Oakley Beginner
Howdo!

New guy here. I have been holding back from buying the BMX chrome array (Radars) for a long time now. I have heard some pretty disappointing stuff about the durability of the finish on this particular model. But I have a chance to get a set with a good discount and wondered if I will regret it?

I am a keen amateur cyclist so these glasses would see some action rather than being for a collection. I am basically asking what advice you guy's might impart.

Many thanks indeed in advance.

If you cycle and plan to use these on a regular basis, the finish will wear as all the FMJ/Chrome finishes have. There really isn't much you can do about it and it's not like you can have Oakley warranty take care of you because #1 they're discontinued and #2 i imagine your discount isn't from an authorized Oakley seller.

You can attempt to preserve it by thoroughly cleaning them after each use. The oils and acids from your sweat and skin will eat away at the finish.

The best advice i can give you is if you plan on collecting Oakleys, use the BMX pair sparingly and buy another "beater" pair to use frequently.

Ah, thanks for taking the time to reply. Kind of confirmed my thoughts. I really like them but I'd be gutted if the finish were to degrade. Im pretty fussy and as you point out a replacement will be unavailable. Don't know why some kind of hardener or seal couldn't have been used at production?

I think I will stick to the solid colours.

Thanks again.

Yah, i would buy it and use the lenses and earsocks and keep the frame at minimal use. From a collectors standpoint, they're a great deal. But if you plan to use it as your only pair, it may not be for you.

Cheers for the advice. I have 4 pairs of Radars already! Some Atomics and original Retina burns in there. Radars are the best for cycling. I just always fancied the chrome ones and as mentioned its a pretty good deal, I'm not sure though as I would be pretty unhappy if they started to peel. I can imagine the area around the nose bridge taking a pounding when it comes to changing lenses.

I saw some light blue frame only (unavailable in UK) on flea bay but the price is a bit steep, posted from US is just shy of £100 so Im torn between the two.

Cheers for the advice. I have 4 pairs of Radars already! Some Atomics and original Retina burns in there. Radars are the best for cycling. I just always fancied the chrome ones and as mentioned its a pretty good deal, I'm not sure though as I would be pretty unhappy if they started to peel. I can imagine the area around the nose bridge taking a pounding when it comes to changing lenses.

I saw some light blue frame only (unavailable in UK) on flea bay but the price is a bit steep, posted from US is just shy of £100 so Im torn between the two.

Don't forget you would have import duty & VAT to pay on these too if customs snag them plus any charges for the Royal Mail handling them.

Back