• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Book Of Eli Inmate (contains SPOILERS)

Isn't it possible that he can see, but reads braille in order to read the bible? That's what I got from it at least.
If you watch the movie assuming he has sight, you think he has sight. If you watch the movie thinking he's blind, you catch clues that confirm that, such as fumbling with the ipod after it clearly shows a low battery, and only shooting people who make noise. There's very much a deus ex machina going on, and it's VERY well done.

It suggests in the last scene where it shows a close-up of his eyes that he is blind. Especially since he memorized it, there's no way he would've known it word for word had he had sight (it was implied that everyone in this world either couldn't read, or a select few could because they were older or blind).
If you read one book for years with all of your spare time you wouldn't memorize it?

This is what I mean, he had to be blind because he knew braille. Sure a man with sight could know braille but I think the movie was trying to convey he was blind and had sight threw faith.

"I walk with faith, not with sight."

And Rustpot - it does indeed take a few watches to notice the subtle signs of him being blind

And after some extensive analyzing and watching the movie, I feel it is either a Polished Chrome or Brushed Chrome (find my final answer on the bottom). It is definitely NOT Polished Black. Here are some screenshots directly from the DVD.

I think it is...ding ding ding! Polished Chrome with Warm Grey, the eBay pair is definitely a fake. Oakley more than likely made this color just for the movie because it isn't a colorway Oakley ever released.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the first time I saw it was a braille book I assumed it was one of the last copies and he either learned braille to read it (or however) or just held onto it for protection and wasn't really reading it. Assuming the whole time he had sight.

Then they show his eyes at the end, and things start to click.

I think this will end the debate once and for all.

And so now that we know the eBay pair is fake, what do we do? :big_boss:

Batwolf, if you look at the "authentic" pair, they have the black finish worn off in a lot of spots. Look at your captures at the nose bridge and the orbitals in your 5th pic. Looks like the finish is worn off and they are indeed supposed to be black, but beaten, weathered, old, etc.

I think you should get whatever pair you want. I love the way these fit and never had an opportunity to pick them up. Once the Wardens and Felons (Felons I know came out with the Inmate) started getting blown out I was hoping like crazy the Inmates would follow and I could get a sweet MPH for cheap, like the ~$50 Felons on the Vault. My fingers are still crossed. The style isn't such a ripoff of aviators like a lot of the other Oakley wire frames, and they fit BIG for my big melon.

I honestly think they have too much shimmer to be black. The whole frame throughout the movie always have a slight shine to it. The eBay pair doesn't have that resemblence at all.

Look at the pic above, please tell me with a straight face that that is or was supposed to be Polished Black.

If you sanded the finish off a black pair, they'd be brushed/polished aluminum.

This one shows it best. You can see the worn finish around the orbital, and in the temple of the stem that's sunk in a bit.

I honestly think someone took a polished black and sanded the finish off for the movie, to give it more of a gritty feel, just like they took his backpack and sewed in a new bottom and beat it to ****, took the toggles off, etc.

Back