• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Boring style

In those days I was taking a look on the O official site. So, I compared some models like Sliver, Chainlink, Valve, Turbine, Triggerman, and many others. Different names, same style. All squared or almost.
I remember times when originality was a dictate for and from Oakley.
Eye Jackets, Straight Jackets, Topcoats, Splice, Scar, Twenty, Racing Jacket, Minute, Moon and Mars, and many others. All differents. Any glasses had a different style, aggressive someones, smooth style others.
Honestly I miss a lot that style, hoping for the next range of sunglasses they will resume something from the past.
What do you think about?

Regard from Italy.
All the old styles you mention are butt ugly if you ask me. And lots of redundancies too. Do I like all the new styles? No, but light years ahead of that old stuff (especially like Turbine, Triggerman).

All the old styles you mention are butt ugly if you ask me. And lots of redundancies too. Do I like all the new styles? No, but light years ahead of that old stuff (especially like Turbine, Triggerman).
The same could be said about many of their current offerings. The point is the company made a name for itself by producing products that were different. Part of being different is change. If you produce the same product too long things get stale. The length of time you see that cycle change depends a lot on what people want. The average life cycle of marketing varies. My hope is that Oakley doesn't get stuck doing one thing for too long. That's not what the brand is all about.

In those days I was taking a look on the O official site. So, I compared some models like Sliver, Chainlink, Valve, Turbine, Triggerman, and many others. Different names, same style. All squared or almost.
I remember times when originality was a dictate for and from Oakley.
Eye Jackets, Straight Jackets, Topcoats, Splice, Scar, Twenty, Racing Jacket, Minute, Moon and Mars, and many others. All differents. Any glasses had a different style, aggressive someones, smooth style others.
Honestly I miss a lot that style, hoping for the next range of sunglasses they will resume something from the past.
What do you think about?

Regard from Italy.
amen

I'm trying to restrain myself when it comes to people not liking what's currently available.

I'll do just that.

Everything was always better in the good old days, or at least we often look back that way with fondness for things from the past. I will agree that its tough for the newer O-Matter to hold a candle to the X-Metal but there are some nice designs available. It does feel like Oakley isn't on the cutting edge and taking chances like they did in the past though. Come on Oakley; make something that most people would never wear and will think is insane! Madman was a good start, just take away the plastic.

Considering I haven't been a part of all the discussions around this subject ill throw myself in the mix right now.
For me, personally I like some of the old x metals and they will forever hold their own special place in my opinion. Do I like all of em-no certainly not.
I absolutely hate the pennys and the half z bs. But that's just me.
these things tend to take a different turn when the availability is removed.
Same thing goes for the Eyeshades... I mean what the bloody f...... Who would wear such a visor....right?? Well some would, and really I have to respect that. As I'm sure a lot of people will spit, throw salt and curse me for liking the next metals.
Now, let me just state the obvious:
what brings you to this forum day in and day out is your love for Oakley. It may revolve around the vintage stuff that is now unavailable or it may be an obsession about the new stuff, and you couldn't care less about the Romeos and Juliet's and whatever else is there.
But to go ahead and complain about Oakley being too mainstream... I challenge you to find any other sunglass manufacturer that would even bother to give their sunglasses cool names, let alone adding aggressive design elements like combining metals and plastics.

They even make holiday specials and serialize them, because they still maintain some of that old attitude that made them so great in the first place.
Do they have to follow simple business models to ensure shareholder revenues, yes of course. Otherwise they'd be out of business, or didn't saturate the market fully. Does this make them a design sellout. Nope not at all.
If you can't find what you look for in their current line-up, check out the exchange. Ther you'll get what you want. It comes at a price but hey, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

if you hate all the old stuff, then all the power to ya. You'll be able to get that new stuff cheaper..... For now.

the one thing im sure of is that Oakley has an outstanding product lineup and will continue to have so, heck even the vintage stuff has stood the test of time.
who else can say that with even a fraction of the magnitude of models.

I get carried away easily btw..

Everything was always better in the good old days, or at least we often look back that way with fondness for things from the past. I will agree that its tough for the newer O-Matter to hold a candle to the X-Metal but there are some nice designs available. It does feel like Oakley isn't on the cutting edge and taking chances like they did in the past though. Come on Oakley; make something that most people would never wear and will think is insane! Madman was a good start, just take away the plastic.
You obviously haven't been following the upcoming ferrari carbon injected o matter frame that'd make you bankrupt

Come now, you wished for crazy out there products that no one would wear. Sheesh you're hard to please :p

You obviously haven't been following the upcoming ferrari carbon injected o matter frame that'd make you bankrupt
Cars weren't always better. They just had more style in the 50s and 60s. Technology has improved and cars are quicker today and more efficient. Sunglasses technology may have improved but the same can't be said of current offerings. It's not a car. You can make it out of different metals or plastic or another composite. Some people like older styles more now because they look unconventional. Oakley has made some of the best frames and some of them are not interesting to me at all. The problem I see, no pun intended is its nearly impossible to satisfy everyone. If I owned the company every frame would have a round or cats eye frame. Square buyers would need to buy something else. That's a poor business model. Oakley still offers a variety of styles. I think some folks however would like to see a Mars Carbon Fiber or a Juliet 2020 made of flexible materials. You get the "eye" dea

Back