• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Boring

What do you guys think the most exiting pair in the current range are?

Like already mentioned, the Prizm lenses are sounding like the most exciting thing happening period. Otherwise, speaking strictly of pairs imo:
-Ballistic Crosshair
-PB2 (even though the PB1 was more exquisite)
-Tincan and Tinfoil carbon (mostly because of the hinge and profile)

I could agree with the Racing Jacket because it has a high degree of customization. It's arguably a do-all if Oakley just offered non-vented lenses again.

I would say I look at the IH line (great colors and the Violet lenses just POP) the carbon products, watches like others have said. My favorite pair in current circulation (but is swiftly on its way out) is the Jupiter Factory Carbons. Overall I agree that the innovation has declined, but again some great stuff is rumored.

I also like the boots and bags, some really cool gear. And the cases, lots of variety in colors and designs.

There are some new frames. Do you not like any of them?

The watches are vanishing, go get them!

I'm on board with the opinion of boring- and they continue to fail to impress despite claiming they're going to get more daring.

As for watches- the prices are insane and they're too small- i dont wear anything under 52mm and own a couple 62mm.

So basically. ...until Oakley shows me more I'll be sticking to my X-Metals and Pit Boss' (and my couple more daring Fuelies) and keep my money.

I'm on board with the opinion of boring- and they continue to fail to impress despite claiming they're going to get more daring.

As for watches- the prices are insane and they're too small- i dont wear anything under 52mm and own a couple 62mm.

So basically. ...until Oakley shows me more I'll be sticking to my X-Metals and Pit Boss' (and my couple more daring Fuelies) and keep my money.
I'm not too interested. The snark font doesn't come through on this forum. Only got 1 watch because it was 75% off retail. Lucked out one PB1. I'll get odds and ends as need be.

This is basically the new status quo for Oakley. There are a couple interesting pieces next year, and despite us hoping otherwise and some really positive Oakley employees still at HQ, what you see now is what you will get for a long time. If Oakley isn't your cup of tea now, it will be less so in a couple years. Electronics look cool but that line has never been the focus of long term collector interest in the past.

Put me in the bunch, but to be clear I don't hold it against Oakley. Like any apparel business they have to figure out mass fashion appeal, while still maintaining original appeal for longtime customers, while also having a general financial growth. And then with that, you gotta find a balance in keeping selection fresh yet memorable. Casual/Lifestyle line always struggles here since they're introduce so much every year.

Maybe what they're doing now if very profitable, even if it may have them look like sellouts.

Otherwise, it's generally hard to come up with "the next epic pair" on a yearly basis. For sport pairs, I feel Oakley had to reach pretty hard in finding problems to bring up something fresh. I mean, the 2015 R2 stuff surely beats the predecessors with some personal favorites, but at the same time: if we were still in a world of original Radars, Flaks, and Jawbones....we'd be thinking they're still perfect for the job. Tbh, Road Prizm isn't a go-to lens for me on the bike. I'm rocking Chrome on my EV's and not missing the Prizm BB Outfield really.

Last edited:
Put me in the bunch, but to be clear I don't hold it against Oakley. Like any apparel business they have to figure out mass fashion appeal, while still maintaining original appeal for longtime customers, while also having a general financial growth. And then with that, you gotta find a balance in keeping selection fresh yet memorable. Casual/Lifestyle line always struggles here since they're introduce so much every year.

Maybe what they're doing now if very profitable, even if it may have them look like sellouts.

Otherwise, it's generally hard to come up with "the next epic pair" on a yearly basis. For sport pairs, I feel Oakley had to reach pretty hard in finding problems to bring up something fresh. I mean, the 2015 R2 stuff surely beats the predecessors with some personal favorites, but at the same time: if we were still in a world of original Radars, Flaks, and Jawbones....we'd be thinking they're still perfect for the job. Tbh, Road Prizm isn't a go-to lens for me on the bike. I'm rocking Chrome on my EV's and not missing the Prizm BB Outfield really.

True- this is the same argument I make with cars and computers- at some point.....from a functional perspective-something becomes as good as it can be. The PC becomes as fast as anyone needs it to be and future models provide marginal improvements; at some point a car is given so much power that even the fun factor produced with every additional HP is marginal. You can only do SO much with eyewear where at some point......functionally it's the best it can be. That said?

That almost adds credence to the argument that from a stylistic perspective that the models should be better- because....functionally you're THERE so the only thing left for you is to make them better in that regard. But as you note- mass appeal, more often than not, is boring. People as a whole don't like or want to be daring. I'm willing to bet those of us that rock some more wild Oakley models are also more likely to say drive fast/loud cars? Or maybe we wear brighter clothes than average? We like to stand out a bit more and push the envelope- but again, that's not mass appeal. That was Oakley for awhile because that mentality was Jannard and Jannard at the time WAS Oakley. Luxley isn't about that and they never will be. If anything, to be honest? The brand is being cheapened and losing stature because of their business model. Rolling out boring Chinese produced O-Matter frame after frame that you can barely tell from one another at ridiculous retail prices only to have the model last a year (or two at best) only to be tossed on the discontinued pile and have them show up in quantity on 6pm for 50% off.

Oakley used to be somewhat exclusive- not so much in the sense of rarity (though to an extent yes) but exclusive in that they stood out, they made you look....now...the brand just blends into the background because its....well.....boring.

Latest Posts

Back