• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Brand new Sutro Custom sunglasses where the lens doesn't fit properly :-(

DanB

Oakley Beginner
Hi guys,

I took delivery of some custom Sutro glasses, that I was REALLY looking forward to getting.

Took them out of the box, and could see that part of the lens was not seated properly - that's ok I thought, I'll just pop it back in.
Popped in, and straight back out again.

Ok I thought, let's find out how to remove the lens, and try and put it back in from scratch.

My main issue here is that the wicket, that appears solidly connected in the videos I watched, despite me clipping it in, simply disconnects itself, so it's virtually impossible to get the lens back in - to be fair I did give up, as I'm sat there wondering why with over £100 of glasses I should even be tackling this.

I have sent them an e-mail with the pictures attached below, and will see if their customer service is still up to scratch.
When I ordered some Oakley Radarlocks a few years back, the lenses they sent were not quite right fit wise, and they sent me out two replacements.

In this instance though I feel the problem is more likely to be with the frame and wicket than the lens, but have asked them to send out a new order, and let me know how to return this setup.

Majorly disappointed as you may well imagine.

Anyone else had Sutro fitment issues?
2.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg

Hi guys,

I took delivery of some custom Sutro glasses, that I was REALLY looking forward to getting.

Took them out of the box, and could see that part of the lens was not seated properly - that's ok I thought, I'll just pop it back in.
Popped in, and straight back out again.

Ok I thought, let's find out how to remove the lens, and try and put it back in from scratch.

My main issue here is that the wicket, that appears solidly connected in the videos I watched, despite me clipping it in, simply disconnects itself, so it's virtually impossible to get the lens back in - to be fair I did give up, as I'm sat there wondering why with over £100 of glasses I should even be tackling this.

I have sent them an e-mail with the pictures attached below, and will see if their customer service is still up to scratch.
When I ordered some Oakley Radarlocks a few years back, the lenses they sent were not quite right fit wise, and they sent me out two replacements.

In this instance though I feel the problem is more likely to be with the frame and wicket than the lens, but have asked them to send out a new order, and let me know how to return this setup.

Majorly disappointed as you may well imagine.

Anyone else had Sutro fitment issues?
View attachment 845887View attachment 845886View attachment 845886
Some of these frames are a pain in the ass I feel like they don’t all hold the lenses the best and they have thin channels.

Agreed, the depth of the channel is minimal, by design I'm sure.

But the downside is that the tolerances are miniscule, hence why I think this pair have this problem.

I just sent back a pair of Celeste sutra origins. They were tge last ones in the sale but when they arrived the lens wasn’t in the glasses and the metal piece had fallen out! Oakley return system doesn’t seem to allow me to return them Without paying a courier fee which given they sent me a pair of defective glasses seems off to me!

Wow @Jojoh that doesn't bode well does it, have you had any success in contacting them?

They sent me a 'how was your experience with us' e-mail this morning, that was bad timing on their part!

I've put all the details in there as well, but realistically I suspect I won't be hearing from them until Monday now.

I'm not going to pay to send back a faulty pair of glasses, so they can either give me a prepaid label, or write them off, like they did with the lenses on my custom radarlocks, which would not go into the frame.

I paid on credit card, so if they refuse to budge, I'll go to them and show them the e-mail trail, and ask them to re-imburse me.

I'm sincerely hoping they can resolve the situation, otherwise this may have been my final pair of Oakleys :-(

The plot thickens.

The original e-mail said it could take up to 14 working days for the new glasses to despatch, so I waited until about 16 working days had gone by, and then dropped tem an e-mail to enquire, as I had heard nothing.

Yesterday evening I had a reply to cryptically say that "We were unable to process your return, it is now being sent back to you with a note inside explaining why"

I messaged back to say I was unhappy about this, and that if they came back to me in the same condition I sent them I would be really unhappy, and be looking for a refund from them or my payment provider.

Overnight I receive an e-mail from a different customer service person apologising for the fact that the replacement has not been processed yet, and giving me a new order number, and saying that I should receive an e-mail once it leaves the warehouse!

So I'm pretty confused right now.

When I had the issue with my custom oakleys last time I seem to remember only dealing with one person throughout, where as this all seems a bit disjointed, and I'm none the wiser as to what is actually going to happen.

4 scenarios as I see it:

I end up with my old busted pair of glasses
I end up with my old glasses and a new pair, and then have to return the old pair
I end up with just the new pair
Nothing arrives!

Place your bets.

Well that took a long time, and many e-mails from me primarily, and in the end I had to pester the Facebook page to get some movement.

They didn't contact me with any options, just issued a refund - e-mails received this morning.

Had they asked me if I was willing to wait, I would have said yes, and of course prices are now about 25% more than they were when I ordered mine, so I won't be re-ordering anytime soon or ever if I'm being honest, partly as I worry with the shallow frames that it's an issue I will see again.

I've also got some custom radar locks with photochromic lenses, and have noticed the coating has started to come off - considering messaging them to see what they say (They must be 6+ years old) but wondering if it is worth the hassle now.

That's too bad you only got a refund. I had an opposite experience lately. I bought a pair of Targetline glasses at 50% off that arrived with a blemished lens. Contacted Oakley via email, they refunded me my money and told me to keep the glasses. Who would say no to that offer?

Back