• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Break The Taboo. Let's Talk About Wires

@SpliceD
Off the top of my head, the only athlete/sportsperson I can think of who rocked Wires was Eddie Irvine back in the days he drove for Ferrari F1.
He wore, and promoted, the same brushed Thick A Wire that I bought as my first ever pair, back in the 1990s.

As others have said, the understated nature of Wires means they are more of a formal necessity rather than a show-piece. But then if you are a wearer not a displayer I think they are an undervalued part of an Oak collection.
I wear suits quite a lot for work purposes, and frankly only Wires will do. O-matter and Metals just look wrong.

I also have a pair of Jury's, don't know if they would be considered a wire.

And would you guys consider X-Metals to be wires?

I have a 6 Square wire 2.0
Dark/ Black Iridium
Dark/ Ice Iridium Polarized SH
Dark/ +ve Red Iridium SH (on eBay at the moment)
Titanium/ Titanium Iridium SH
Titanium/ Emerald Iridium SH
Titanium/ VR28 Blue Iridium SH

Have to wear shirt and tie to work and wires work fine for this. I am thinking of a getting a pair Whiskers as it has a little more 'attitude'. I did have a bunch of Hatchet wires but sold most of them.

I would say X Metals are X Metals. Wires are Wires. O-Review categorizes the Jury under "O-Luminium"... but a few wires are also listed there. So maybe a thicker wire? And now that i think about it, if the Hatchet and Spike are considered wires and are thicker frames, i'm sure the Jury is too.

Not to say the OR is THE list to go by, but i would say they know their stuff.

i have a pair of inmates and i also like the probations.... i wear my inmates quite a bit, they're in my rotation for sure.... i think the reason people don't like wires is because they're not flashy enough... like you can barely even tell my inmates are oakleys, i have people asking me all the time what kind of glasses i'm wearing.... but it doesn't bug me at all because i like the understated look... it's a nice contrast from my other frames which are much flashier, especially the goldbrooks which i'll be rocking in no time lol...

As others have said, the understated nature of Wires means they are more of a formal necessity rather than a show-piece. But then if you are a wearer not a displayer I think they are an undervalued part of an Oak collection.
I wear suits quite a lot for work purposes, and frankly only Wires will do. O-matter and Metals just look wrong.
Agreed. A lot of what I wear determines what type of sunnies I'll be wearing that day. I've also come to realize that a lot of non-wire stuff doesn't go well with my Oakley Red Shift military cap. So during the winter months I find myself wearing my wires moreso than the others.

Anything business casual to formal is usually wires for me while sports jerseys and t-shirts are usually O-Matter/X-Metal.

Out of the ones I have I do have to say that my New C-Wire, Square Whisker and Splinter are my favorites. The New C-Wire has just enough uniqueness on the hinges to merit discussion, the Square Whisker has the hammerstems that offer a touch of aggressiveness and the Splinter has some really subtle but great lines on the hinges and nose bridge.

Lets see......

3 pairs of Jordan OO
2 pairs fo Wiretaps
4 pairs of Whiskers
4 pairs of Hatchets
1 pair of Why 1
1 pair of Why 8.1 Funny as I really dont know where those are.........Hmmmmmm

I think the E-wire is the most comfortable pair i've ever owned. They're so incredibly light. I used to wear them all day and forget they were even there.

Back