• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Break The Taboo. Let's Talk About Wires

Herbsley

Steadily Retiring
Durham, UK
I find it really strange, on a forum about all things Oakley, where everything from glasses to watches to key fobs are discussed, that no-one is talking about Wires.
At all.
Have I missed a meeting here? Is there an unwritten agreement to keep the existence of the Wire range hush-hush?

Looking at my collection, it appears I have 7 pairs of Wires -
Hatchet
Why 8.2
Thick A
Warden
Inmate
Ti Spike
Ducati Square Wire

It's not a conscious collection, It's just I liked them enough to buy them, and I suit them. And, you know what, I wear them. They go ace with a suit or formal etc.

I understand from a Display Dude perspective, they're not flashy in a case, but come on, I've been here a while now, you can tell me ...
Why does no-one talk about Wires?

I've noticed that too. Guess the wire frames just aren't flashy enough to get attention. Not to mention the trend lately seems to be thicker/bigger plastic frames... and not just with Oakley. I don't see very many other eyewear brands pushing wire frames. I think it's due to the hipster movement. Everyone wants thick framed glasses; sunglasses and Rx.

I own several wire frames myself: e-wire (1st gen), T-wire (1st gen), Why 8.1, Why 8.2, Big Square Wire, Square Whisker

I love them all, but haven't really been wearing them lately. Like you mentioned, i typically wear them when i'm dressed up or going to something formal like a wedding, but that's rare.

I also think that Oakley, as a company that promotes athletes, does better with their sports frames like the Jawbones, Radars, Flak Jackets, etc. I don't know very many sports figures who wear wire frames.

i have a few wire in my collection!
hatchets
why
a & e-wire
crosshairs
warden
ducati inmate & square wire
and a spike as well

probably a lot of members have those in the collection, but right now the focus is on newer models . . .

I dont own a pair of wires (unless you consider halfX a wire) but im thinking about picking up a pair of Crosshair 2.0s for the reasons stated above, I need something that will go well with a suit on the rare occasion i wear one.

I dont own a pair of wires (unless you consider halfX a wire) but im thinking about picking up a pair of Crosshair 2.0s for the reasons stated above, I need something that will go well with a suit on the rare occasion i wear one.

yeah i think thats the trouble.. they're really understated. if anything you'd need one pair for formal occasions and thats it.. i'd probably go a pair of why8.2's..

I love my wires. They are solid for the more formal events that I go to or the days where I don't want to wear something overly flashy.

I have:

New C-Wire: lead frame with ice iridium polarized.
Splinter: matte black/midnight frame with black iridium polarized.
Square Whisker: pewter frame with emerald iridium polarized.
New Square Wire: pewter frame with warm grey.
RAZRWire: mercury frame with light grey.
Square Wire 2.0: silver frame with ice iridium.

Back