• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

BriP's second Xmetal XX - Another restoration project

Hey Brip,

Sorry to disturb your progress but since you 'may' be thinking about this stuff anyway (feel free to chime in rest ofcommunity);
i) Have you ever tried JD Weld (or JB Weld Steelstick?) to remove a stripped T6 screw (hinge T6 - the head is a cave right now);
ii) Are the drivers for the orbital and hinge the same, the heads are clearly different and you said it was rounded in a previous post (rounded T6 driver?);
iii) You have mentioned using replacement washers on the Juliet hinges, what did you use?
iv) If your interested in stashing more, O-Warranty Australia has ice polarized lenses and stock of a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks fellow Perthian.

hey sorry i ddnt get back sooner. totally missed your post..

i- no i havent had such bad luck. i hear carious methods that hve worked but if you use jb weld
be very careful not to overflow intot he threads haha..
ii- they are the same
driver, same head pattern just how it was finished
iii- i had a friend who made hi temp resistant teflon washers. i think linegear makes em now
iv- ive got one cheers. theyre still too expensive to stash a bunch lol

Hey Brip, can you explain on what you did and used in detail to clean/polish those TiO2s? I have had a pair the year that they came out and unfortunately they have dark patches on them tat seems to have eaten away at the silver paint around the lenses and I want to preserve them the best that I can, possibly to their original color. The dark grey areas on the ear stems and bridge are perfectly fine, it's just the silver parts that I want to fix. I see that from what you have done, if it's to its original silver luster or that's the metal underneath the paint, I would like to get them to look like that. I contacted Oakley about this and they said that they can't help as they are too old that they can't do anything about them, so I am taking it upon myself, with some help hopefully, on bringing them back.

ok so the earstems and nosebridge are an xmetal finihs which is more durable. the orbitals are plasma.. and hence the issues. youve go classic discoloration issues, very common. send me some closeup macro pics so i can judge the severity, and we'llgo from there. yours is a first gen plasma (since you got it back in 1999, so i would be hesitant to polish it out like i did mine. original plasma was a matte finish. my gen 2 plasma was more of a shiny finish so i could afford to polish it. anyway yeah pm me with pics :)

I got the receipt still with me in the box, so I'll get the exact date that they were purchased if that may help determine what gen they may be. I'll take a couple of shots in a bit and post them them up for you to examine them. I appreciate the help BriP.

So they were purchased in 2001 and the serial No. is 04-121 ~ A31016.
Yeah as you can see from the photos the splotches are around the lenses and in the nose buds. Please mind the lense, they got pushed in while traveling from Hawaii, damn luggage handlers! I accidentally rounded out one of the screws that secures the lense in the frame, so I am trying to gently figure out how to remove the screw. The ear stems are perfectly fine though.

IMG_0431-1.jpg

IMG_0432-1.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434-1.jpg

IMG_0435-1.jpg

Yeah as you can see from the photos the splotches are around the lenses and in the nose buds. Please mind the lense, they got pushed in while traveling from Hawaii, damn luggage handlers! I accidentally rounded out one of the screws that secures the lense in the frame, so I am trying to gently figure out how to remove the screw. The ear stems are perfectly fine though.

IMG_0431-1.jpg

IMG_0432-1.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434-1.jpg

IMG_0435-1.jpg

it looks like a gen 1 to me, and yeah thats quite alot of discoloration. where are the arms? if the serial number has an "a" at the end, then its a gen2. if its just the numbers then its gen1. i'll pm you later

char1ieone,
Did you managed to resolve the rounded screws?

IMG_0431-1.jpg

IMG_0432-1.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434-1.jpg

IMG_0435-1.jpg
[/quote

I can get stripped screws out...Have done several lately...not too hard, but certainly can screw up a frame if you do it wrong

Back