• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

BriP's X-Metal Halloween Special

Okay boys and girls! its time! the XX's are in.. and they are in FRIGHTFUL shape! I will be performing the transplant tonight, and pictures of every step...

by the end of tonight, you will witness the RISE OF THE FRANKENSTEIN JULIET-X!

Standby for every gory detail... WOOOO!

alright... and here are the remains of what used to be an XX... one nosebomb is missing, the flex couplers arent actually even there anymore, and the earsocks look like mice have acquired a taste for them...

6302636490_a4c0becbba_z.jpg

Ah.. here are the donor arms.. in decent shape but OMG they're so filthy.. what you do not see here is alot of BROWN OIL and GREASE that has built up under the earsocks.. GROSS!

6302633660_2ee546d38f_z.jpg

And those lenses..? BUBBLING you say?! bubble bubble, toil and trouble.. looks like the witches have gotten to this one!

6302638714_5837732a7e_z.jpg

Off to wash everything now! ugh!

I'm taking notes because I'm trying to do this soon (Around the end of the year, wife says I can look for a pair of XM/Ruby Juliets for Christmas). My big thing is taking the arms off the Juliets. Not so worried about the Twentys as they will be the donor pair as well.

This is going to be interesting :popcorn:

Curious - what do you plan to do with that single nose piece? If you don't want it and it's the left one, i think i can use it since i'm actually missing a left one.

what causes the lenses to bubble like that? it's horrifying.
a hammerstem x-metal Juliet sounds gorgeous. :D

The previous owner probably wore a lot of body products (hair gel/body spray) and didn't clean the glasses after wearing them. If they did, then they used the wrong kind of cleaner on the lenses that caused the bubbling reaction.

I had something similar happen to my Whiskers. Long story short, a TSA agent marred up the lenses with her greasy fingers 'inspecting' them and then 'cleaned' them with eyeglass cleaner and her t-shirt when I bitched her out about touching my stuff. When I went to wear them after getting off my flight, there were streaks on both sides of the lenses where the eyeglass cleaner had literally eaten the Iridium off the lens (I wasn't fond of the warm grey lens, but it's the point).

wow!! looks like something out of a horror movie!

.... and the disinfecting begins... or call in a HAZMAT team!!

took alot of scrubbing under warm water and soap! this is probably the worst shape ive seen X-metals in..!

I'm taking notes because I'm trying to do this soon (Around the end of the year, wife says I can look for a pair of XM/Ruby Juliets for Christmas). My big thing is taking the arms off the Juliets. Not so worried about the Twentys as they will be the donor pair as well.

X-metal frames can always be restored.. just send them to Oakley again for a full tune-up - good as new. I plan to restore the XX's.. will send them to the factory with Juliet arms! =) if you need help removing arms etc, just pm me or make a thread, i can pull these on and off so easily now! taking off is not tricky, just unscrew and pull off, dont lose the small plastic washers. to put back on... i'll make a new thread for that in the near future. =)

what causes the lenses to bubble like that? it's horrifying.
a hammerstem x-metal Juliet sounds gorgeous. :D
and the Franken-Juliet-X is! totally.. you'll see! =)

This is going to be interesting :popcorn:

Curious - what do you plan to do with that single nose piece? If you don't want it and it's the left one, i think i can use it since i'm actually missing a left one.

Splice, I think i'll get new ones from the factory when i send it in for the tune-up, so you can have it. But i will hang on to it till I know they do have them.. as soon as that happens you can have it alright? =)

Latest Posts

Back