• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Brown lens tint in Square Wires? Why are these impossibly to find?

fastline

Oakley Beginner
OK, it appears I have finally lost my beloved Squares for good but had them for nearly 20yrs so I think I got a good run with them. They were silver frame with the fire Iridium lenses.

Years ago I thought I lost them so I bought replacements. black frames and I got some genuine Oakley blue Iridium lenses BUT the lens tint is the gray or black, NOT the rootbeer brown tint my fire lenses had. I HATE them!!! I have to squint in bright light, and in lower light I cannot see very well. I am obviously much more used to the brighter optics of the rootbeer tint. I could wear them in nearly any condition and on quick trips indoors like a gas station, I didn;t even need to take them off. I could see just fine.

Now, as I shop for some better lenses for my black frames to make them my daily's, I see there are tons of aftermarkets with the yellow or "fire" mirror, but they say NOTHING about the actual lens tint. I know from experience it makes a HUGE difference! I used to have a nice set of C wires with the brown lenses as well. They were really good and I would go that route if I didn't have black frames.

I am looking at Seek optics, Revant, Galaxy, etc. Honestly, I would guess several of these lines are just relabeled and probably the same. There is a big cost jump to Revant and if I could quantify the actual optical advantage, I might spend a little more but I honestly doubt there will be much. I don't honestly need or even want polarized. I don't seem much advantage for my uses, and I find that I miss things in low light with polarized.

IN all honesty, I put on a pair of Maui Jim's glasses years ago and they they made Oakleys seems like childs play. Insane good!

Shoot me straight guys, what do I need????

The newest square wire version is available both in Tungsten and titanium iridium polarized and give a brown tint. Model numbers are OO4075-06 and OO6016-01

Maui Jim's use glass instead of polycarbonate (afaik) so give up impact protection for better optical characteristics

Thanks! I did not know Jim's uses glass. That makes sense why the optics are better but I should probably stay with Lexan for a little safety net.

Regarding wire lenses, can I get non-polarized? I seem to dislike polarized for everyday use as I run into situations where the polarized will block out certain features, like glancing at an LCD screen.

Back