• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Bunker Happy ... mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJLSr

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
I was just thinking to myself... I am very impressed with the spirt [we have] shown in collecting these Bunkers. I personally have had a rough few months as a collector, observing my own mental and emotional processes as they relate to my collecting, and seeing all the hype around these, mostly positive, has done me some good [Thank You - you know who you are] :hi:

I really think Oakley got it right with this piece; a good intention of the right size, scope, delivery, and [retail] price. A true collectors item! :drinks:

I'd also like to say - in the most positive way I can, knowing that some of you will be looking for a 'dislike' link to tag this post... Here it goes:

It is a good thing that I appreciate the collectible spirit and related aspects of the Bunker, because the item itself is already exceeding my 'price point appreciation' - seeing these things for $300... $400... or more, at least double and almost triple their cost is a bit silly to me. Granted, it does validate the market while providing proof of life that capitalism is alive and well :), but still...

Part of it is the Bunker itself - it is just 'ok' to me. When I see it I see the fervor that has become one with this piece in our community. The listings doing our fellow collectors a 'favor' at 100% markup or greater are another. Those two things combined are a bit too much for me.

I guess would really like to see more of these shared at a more reasonable cost. Giving someone $50 or $75 to cover their time, tax, and shipping is one thing, but these markups are getting out of hand within our community. I know, I know - who am I to say? I'm not - its just my opinion and opinions are like, you know, and I know - I have one and occasionally act like one of those too :stinker:

No apologies on my behalf if I rained on anyone's parade here. If I irritated someone making a point of prices - good - they probably irritated me with their prices already. It's a free market and all are welcome to charge what they want, what they feel they can sell anything for - for maximum profit. If my issue was with price alone I would not have posted this commentary. I feel it is an average piece with a strong following at what is becoming a ridiculous price. I just don't think the piece is worth that personally overall, and feeling more strongly about folks being overcharged from a fellow collector, our O-brothers and sisters... Sure, its nice, but everything nice has its price. Had I not obtained one for what I consider to be a reasonable price I would not have one. I feel like Oakley could have sold these for $80 and we would still see them approaching $500.

As I was saying... I am very impressed with the spirt [we have] shown in collecting these Bunkers. :)

I was just thinking to myself... I am very impressed with the spirt [we have] shown in collecting these Bunkers. I personally have had a rough few months as a collector, observing my own mental and emotional processes as they relate to my collecting, and seeing all the hype around these, mostly positive, has done me some good [Thank You - you know who you are] :hi:

I really think Oakley got it right with this piece; a good intention of the right size, scope, delivery, and [retail] price. A true collectors item! :drinks:

I'd also like to say - in the most positive way I can, knowing that some of you will be looking for a 'dislike' link to tag this post... Here it goes:

It is a good thing that I appreciate the collectible spirit and related aspects of the Bunker, because the item itself is already exceeding my 'price point appreciation' - seeing these things for $300... $400... or more, at least double and almost triple their cost is a bit silly to me. Granted, it does validate the market while providing proof of life that capitalism is alive and well :), but still...

Part of it is the Bunker itself - it is just 'ok' to me. When I see it I see the fervor that has become one with this piece in our community. The listings doing our fellow collectors a 'favor' at 100% markup or greater are another. Those two things combined are a bit too much for me.

I guess would really like to see more of these shared at a more reasonable cost. Giving someone $50 or $75 to cover their time, tax, and shipping is one thing, but these markups are getting out of hand within our community. I know, I know - who am I to say? I'm not - its just my opinion and opinions are like, you know, and I know - I have one and occasionally act like one of those too :stinker:

No apologies on my behalf if I rained on anyone's parade here. If I irritated someone making a point of prices - good - they probably irritated me with their prices already. It's a free market and all are welcome to charge what they want, what they feel they can sell anything for - for maximum profit. If my issue was with price alone I would not have posted this commentary. I feel it is an average piece with a strong following at what is becoming a ridiculous price. I just don't think the piece is worth that personally overall, and feeling more strongly about folks being overcharged from a fellow collector, our O-brothers and sisters... Sure, its nice, but everything nice has its price. Had I not obtained one for what I consider to be a reasonable price I would not have one. I feel like Oakley could have sold these for $80 and we would still see them approaching $500.

As I was saying... I am very impressed with the spirt [we have] shown in collecting these Bunkers. :)

Unfortunately there is NOT a "dislike" option....

j/k :)

It could be worse, they could be 20th anniversary PS4s. Sold for <$500, highest seen so far on eBay $10000. For a preorder, not even the physical product.

Yes, I want one and there's even a pop-up shop selling them in London at £20 for the first 100, but I'm not able to get there while stocks last and I don't want to pay scalping prices.

Profiteering off collector's items seems to be part and parcel of the game now. Can't say I welcome the development.

It could be worse, they could be 20th anniversary PS4s. Sold for <$500, highest seen so far on eBay $10000. For a preorder, not even the physical product.

Yes, I want one and there's even a pop-up shop selling them in London at £20 for the first 100, but I'm not able to get there while stocks last and I don't want to pay scalping prices.

Profiteering off collector's items seems to be part and parcel of the game now. Can't say I welcome the development.

this has been going on for decades the internet has just made it easier to reach a broader audisnce so they can charge more. think back to cabage patch kids in the 80's

You are right about the overpricing on here, unfortunetly there is no guide to the value of Oakley. Supply and Demand will always win.

In the case of Oakley the early bird gets the worm. Down fall is Oakley opened a collectors game of 500 of thies, 40 of thies, and are charging some ridiculous pricing :mad: carbon Carabiner, but then a gain they have always been exspensive to begin with ;)

While I agree with this I think something you said about capitalism rings true. These bunkers (like all products) are only worth what someone is willing to pay. If people are willing to pay 500 for these bunkers then I don't see the issue in selling them for this price. Oakley is a good example. How much do you think it cost them to make the bunker? 10 bucks? 20 bucks? Then they mark it up to 150, massive increase but they know the market will bear it. It's an interesting concept.

That said, I don't agree with really inflated prices here in the forum. If you have an extra bunker that you want to sell for a higher price Ebay or other sources are more appropriate. I think it's important to maintain the integrity of the forum.
My .02

See.......the only problem I have is the fact that it is STILL in a LOT of stores.

But but but but... I had to travel XX miles there and back. I missed work just to get those. Shipping and sales tax. Oh did mention i had to wait for the shipment when i got there so i had to scramble over to the nearest steakhouse to take care of my hunger and waste some time too! What do you mean 100% markup? I only made $5-7 after that whole ordeal! (sarcasm)

But but but but... I had to travel XX miles there and back. I missed work just to get those. Shipping and sales tax. Oh did mention i had to wait for the shipment when i got there so i had to scramble over to the nearest steakhouse to take care of my hunger and waste some time too! What do you mean 100% markup? I only made $5-7 after that whole ordeal! (sarcasm)

What you did was a great service to members who benefited from the likes of Samaritans as yourself. I believe the OP was referring mostly to the scalping prices on ebay.

I have not seen a bunker on the forum selling in the $300s territory. Not saying it doesn't exist...just haven't bothered to look nor have I seen it.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back