• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cacatman's (BRIP's) simple guide to cleaning Mars Jordan leather

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Got a useful tip on cleaning these works of art? Please leave a comment below.

So I finally got around to following @BriP'S advice on how to clean Mars Jordan leather after I plucked up enough courage to subject my prize Oakleys to some DIY home cleaning.

Needless to say, I was a little nervous.

Before....
IMG_6231.JPG
IMG_6232.JPG
IMG_6233.JPG
IMG_6234.JPG
IMG_6235.JPG
IMG_6236.JPG

And after...
IMG_6241.JPG
IMG_6242.JPG
IMG_6243.JPG

Here's EXACTLY what I did.

- added 3 mls of Cussons "Morning Fresh" (lemon) detergent to 56 degrees C water in a disposable plastic bucket just large enough to submerge Mars. I left all rubbers on the sunglasses. Any gentle nice smelling washing detergent should work!!
- Leave to soak for 30 mins.
- Rinse off Mars in cold water
- Wash container out
- Repeat 30 minute process with detergent and warm water
- Rinse under cold water till all detergent removed

Very important!!
- Gently dab excess water off with a paper towel being careful to not rub or agitate the leather. It is very fragile and apparently can tear easily.
- it is NOT necessary to scrub the leather while cleaning with a toothbrush or any other piece of equipment
- allow to air dry
- Voila! Welcome to your newly cleaned Mars Jordan.

Negatives
- the leather does leach some colour. It may discolour the thread a little. I don't know how to get around this problem.

Congratulations. You just improved the leather from a 5/10 to an 8.5/10, and consequently it's value by another 150 smackaroos!!!!

Last edited:
Great method: I, on the other hand, had success with the toothbrush, using very, very gently, just going with the 'grain' with a small amount of light detergent. I think I left it to air dry.....
2546-1416271152-6b643623f439d2ef14e9e25d5452e6df.jpg

can we see it with a little lighting, please? So as to enable us to see the leather rather than a flood of light which destorts the true colour.....
DSCF4543-1.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Good job cleaning that germ infested pieces of suede. I hope that Cusson's is anti-bacterial too. lol

p.s.
The frame looks a lot brighter too.

Yeah it does! I was going to say the same thing, grimm! Looks like that detergent ate away years of stuff you didn't even know was on the frame surface.
Cool.

You mean the one where you shake your head "No" (Like me testing frames) with your mouth half open? Almost like "Motorboating"??

That's tough to quantify...
Yup. That's the one! I have quite the grasp on the English language but I don't even know where to start there lol

That leather really does get NASTY. This thread will let me a little less picky about a Jordan Mars when I decide to get one.

I love the sharing of knowledge that goes on here. Much better than when people act like it's some big secret.

Yup. That's the one! I have quite the grasp on the English language but I don't even know where to start there lol

That leather really does get NASTY. This thread will let me a little less picky about a Jordan Mars when I decide to get one.

I love the sharing of knowledge that goes on here. Much better than when people act like it's some big secret.

Same feeling here. I don't like people at work that take secrets "to the grave" because they feel it gives them job security if they alone know how to do it...
If I had a case full of nice clean Jordans and Metals I'd love to tell everyone how I did it...makes everyone's stuff nicer!

That Mars is on my grail list, and as long as it's not torn or tissue-paper thin I won't have an issue grabbing one now with this thread. @Funky-Trixtar did a hell of a job on his with the toothbrush method too.

Well, for a Limey. ;)