• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Cacatman's Personal Coronavirus COVID-19 Update Thread

Vaccination side effects
20,000 volunteers have already gotten the needed two doses of the vaccine. And the majority did report some side effects - that includes soreness at the site of injection, headache, achy joints and the occasional fever.

Conspiracy Theories - Prevalence
Pretty scary.

This report includes findings from a survey of 2,254 UK residents aged 16- 75 by King’s College London and Ipsos MORI, conducted on 20-22 May. It accompanies a peer-reviewed article published in Psychological Medicine. The report finds that:
  • People who believe conspiracy theories about Covid-19 are more likely to have broken key lockdown rules: for example, 38% of those who think there is no hard evidence that Covid-19 really exists have had family/friends visit them at home, compared with 12% of those who think that’s false.
  • People who believe in conspiracy theories are more likely to be getting their information about Covid-19 from social media: for example, 60% of those who believe the symptoms are linked to 5G radiation say that much of their information on Covid-19 comes from YouTube,compared with 14% of those who think that’s false.
  • People who have broken key lockdown rules are more likely to be getting their information about Covid-19 from social media: for example, 58% of those who have gone outside when they had symptoms that could be Covid-19 say that much of their information on Covid-19 comes from YouTube, compared with 16% of those who haven’t.
And significant proportions of the population believe in conspiracies or are confused about the virus:
• 3 in 10 think coronavirus was probably created in a lab, up from a quarter at the beginning of April.
• 3 in 10 think most people in the UK have already had coronavirus without realising it.
• 3 in 10 believe the Covid-19 death toll is being deliberately reduced or hidden by the authorities.
• 1 in 7 believe the death toll is being deliberately exaggerated by the authorities.
• 1 in 8 believe that the current pandemic is part of a global effort to force everyone to be vaccinated.
• More than 1 in 20 believe that the symptoms that most people blame on Covid-19 appear to be connected to 5G network radiation.
• More than 1 in 20 believe there is no hard evidence that Covid-19 really exists.
3 in 10 think coronavirus was probably created in a lab,

That could very well be true, or rather escaped from one

Video uploaded exactly one year ago!

Will you get vaccinated cacatman?
I'm going backwards and forwards about it. My age and medical history makes it more likely that I could die/suffer challenging morbidity/long term consequences from it. Also, the numbers are quite high here That, coupled with the risk in my workplace make it a higher risk overall.

But part of me feels that I want to wait and see how millions of people cope with it over 6 months.

It will be a non-issue anyhow. Expats will be the last on the line in Jordan (fair enough). So I doubt I'll have the choice to be able to get one early anyhow.

If I was over 65 yo, I think it would be a definite yes. If I was 40 yo and in a place with limited risk, I'd probably wait and see.

I'm going backwards and forwards about it. My age and medical history makes it more likely that I could die/suffer challenging morbidity/long term consequences from it. Also, the numbers are quite high here That, coupled with the risk in my workplace make it a higher risk overall.

But part of me feels that I want to wait and see how millions of people cope with it over 6 months.

It will be a non-issue anyhow. Expats will be the last on the line in Jordan (fair enough). So I doubt I'll have the choice to be able to get one early anyhow.

If I was over 65 yo, I think it would be a definite yes. If I was 40 yo and in a place with limited risk, I'd probably wait and see.
Yeah, many seem to be unsure. But then again, we need to get rid of this. It's been a long year !! :oops:

Risk Factors - Cancer and being African American increase risk for COVID-19 + worse outcomes
In this case-control study, patients with cancer were at significantly increased risk for COVID-19 infection and worse outcomes, which was further exacerbated among African Americans. These findings highlight the need to protect and monitor patients with cancer as part of the strategy to control the pandemic.

Yeah, many seem to be unsure. But then again, we need to get rid of this. It's been a long year !! :oops:
The main predictive factor of outcome IF you get COVID-19 seems to be age. It seems the other risk factors usually are less important e.g. my opinion is that you're better off being young with diabetes and heart disease than being 85 yo and "fit as a fiddle". So I think, they will roll it out starting from the oldest people anyway. And then health professionals who are working in at risk environments and teachers/law enforcement etc.

The general population will only have access much later, so I think realistically, it will probably take a few months before people even have access to the vaccine.

After reading more about the vaccines, I think I'm more comfortable with the "science" than I was previously, particularly concerning mRNA vaccines, however, I would still hold back from rushing in (at least for now). For the record, I wouldn't hesitate taking the flu vaccine (which doesn't have the covid vaccine in it). Working in health, my family and I have taken it for the last 10-15 years without any problems.

The main predictive factor of outcome IF you get COVID-19 seems to be age. It seems the other risk factors usually are less important e.g. my opinion is that you're better off being young with diabetes and heart disease than being 85 yo and "fit as a fiddle". So I think, they will roll it out starting from the oldest people anyway. And then health professionals who are working in at risk environments and teachers/law enforcement etc.

The general population will only have access much later, so I think realistically, it will probably take a few months before people even have access to the vaccine.

After reading more about the vaccines, I think I'm more comfortable with the "science" than I was previously, particularly concerning mRNA vaccines, however, I would still hold back from rushing in (at least for now). For the record, I wouldn't hesitate taking the flu vaccine (which doesn't have the covid vaccine in it). Working in health, my family and I have taken it for the last 10-15 years without any problems.
I had the flu every season as a child and every year my mom took me to get the flu shot. I havent had the flu as an adult, and havent had a flu shot since I was 17.

UV LED Lights 265-285 nm wavelength Kills COVID-19 Quickly
Investigators measured the UV spectra of the UV-LED wavelengths using an Ocean Optics USB4000 spectroradiometer equipped with a cosine corrector. The findings demonstrated that a wavelength of 285 nm was almost as efficient in disinfecting the virus as a wavelength of 265 nm, destroying more than 99.9% of the coronavirus in less than half of a minute. 285 nm LED bulbs are much lower in price and are more readily available compared to 265 nm bulbs, making this an important finding.

Analyzing daily COVID-19 and weather data from over 3,000 administrative regions in more than 170 countries, Proctor, together with co-authors Peter Huybers, also at Harvard University, Tamma Carleton and Kyle Meng from the University of California Santa Barbara and Jules Cornetet at France's École Normale Supérieure Paris-Saclay, found that the spread of COVID-19 through a population tended to be lower in the weeks following higher UV exposure.

They found that changes in UV between winter and summer led to a 7-percentage point decrease in the COVID-19 growth rate on average across the Northern Hemisphere, which is about half the average daily growth rate at the beginning of the pandemic. While this research shows that COVID-19 exhibits a seasonal pattern due to changes in UV, the full seasonality of COVID-19 remains unclear because of uncertain influences from other environmental factors such as temperature and humidity.

Natural variations in ultraviolet radiation influence the spread of COVID-19, but the influence is modest compared to preventive measures such as physical distancing, mask wearing, and quarantine, according to new research from Harvard University.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back