• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Cacatman's "Things I Wish I Knew" when I was a Newbie at Oakley Forum...

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Last updated 1st November, 2018.

How to Use This Thread
If you want to skip the crap, just go straight to the BOLD RED ITALIC parts!

Introduction

When you've been around for a while, it's easy to take the knowledge you have for granted.

So I thought I'd write a few tips I wish I knew when I first started!

People are really great here and super helpful especially if you are humble, genuine, teachable and polite. If you hang around, you'll make some great (virtual) friends and find out why lots of others think this is the best Oakley Forum on the net.

If you want a superb overview, go here. For an equally superb visual history of vintage models when Jim Jannard was still at the helm, see @qtrain23's brilliant FB page here.

I wish you all the best in your Oakley journey!

If you follow these tips, you won't go far wrong! :dance2:

1. Sign up here.

2. Introduce yourself here.

3. If you're going to be writing posts, read the forum rules here. It's pretty much summed up in the first 5 lines. If you STILL don't want to read them, here's a good summary (for life, and not just O.F.)....

"DO for others what YOU want them to do for YOU..." (emphasis added)
(otherwise known as the "Golden Rule")​

4. Before you ask a question, USE the SEARCH box located at the top right of your screen just below your username/Inbox/Alerts. It's likely your question has already been answered.

5. A lot of people join because they want to buy or sell. Before you're allowed the privilege, you have to jump through some hoops (be a member for 14 days and post >15 times). Once you do that, you can post in the exchange areas (except for the Misc./Everything Else Exchange until you have posted 30 times).
Make sure you post "For Sale/Wanted to Buy" stuff in the CORRECT EXCHANGE area and NOT in other areas unless you wish to get flamed. Make sure you have a photo of the item itself, a price which includes PayPal Goods and Services (so buyer is protected) and change it's status to "Sold" when it has! Leave feedback when your item has been sold or bought here. Read the Exchange rules properly. If you are buying do your homework. Make sure that you get decent pictures of the item. For more info, go here.

6. Don't bump super old sales threads. Check the dates. Apparently it really annoys some people. PM the seller instead if it's old and you don't know if the item has been sold yet. For more information on correct etiquette, check here!

7. If you don't know how much your Oakleys are worth or whether you're getting a good deal, post a picture asking politely for their value here. And ONLY HERE!!! If you suspect they're fakes, go here. If you don't know what "model" they are, take some decent pictures and post them here here. Here's some broad guidelines on X-metal values.

8. You can't complain about someone publicly on the forum. Here's why you can't, straight from the boss of OF. And again, here. If you do, your post will be deleted, and you may even get banned yourself!

9. They say that, "There's no such thing as a free lunch". This is an excellent site, if you love Oakleys. Consider subscribing even just for a year! If you're a tight Asian and NEED to get your moneys worth, check out what you get for your subscription here. In anycase, you'll save your subscription if you buy even one or two pairs through the forum. It helps keep things ticking over.

(10. The most important thing you must remember is trade with @dingo ate my baby. Put that on your bucket list right now! I did, if you don't believe me, click here!!!)

11. And FINALLY, make sure you send a PM and shoutout to Oakleyboss, the founder of this website. Absolutely KILL his inbox with THANK YOUS!! This is a great forum to be part of! Hope you guys enjoy your stay!

P.S. Disclosure statement - I'm not part of management.

If you have a tip, please leave it in the comments section below.

Last edited:
@cacatman What in the hell do you think you're doing?!?!

The only reason I'm here (besides increasing exponentially my rare and desired Pink Latte Disobey collection) is to beat the hell out of newbies for not being as familiar with the Forum as we all are and to punish them for asking perfectly legitimate questions while impressing them with my Omnipotence.

If we are helpful, they will learn and have fun and contribute and help the Forum grow!! Are you a mental patient?!?! Do you not think about consequences of your little "Helpful" threads?!?!?!

Dude, please...stay in Orientalia or wherever the hell you are and just let things be!! Damn!

Well, that was fun!
Thanks for this thread, hopefully it will help one Newbie trip one less time than I did when I was new here. Personally I like the new membership flowing in, I hope most of them stick around and have some fun. And trip like I still do. ;)

Good job again buddy! :drinks:

image.jpg

Back