• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Calling All Premium Members: New Feature Ideas?

I am a little torn on the idea of limiting access to the exchange.

It's an interesting idea, but I think the backlash would be enormous. I also think that once you start charging for access (which this essentially is, all the good stuff would be picked off before it ever went public), you are opening yourself up to some liability and responsibility for when deals go bad.

I am a little torn on the idea of limiting access to the exchange.

It's an interesting idea, but I think the backlash would be enormous. I also think that once you start charging for access (which this essentially is, all the good stuff would be picked off before it ever went public), you are opening yourself up to some liability and responsibility for when deals go bad.
I don't think you'd be more or less liable than you are now... I think a 24 hr early access to exchange stuff is a real incentive to becomes a premium member ...maybe reduce the wait... 12 hours?

I did the upgrade to premium to give back to the forum that has done a lot for me. Wasn't really for the perks but just to help pay the electric haha. I know this is controversial but what if premium members got first dibs on anything listed in the exchange section. Basically we can see it for 12 hours before non premium. Now that's a perk ;)

great idea, im paying my dues coz i do a lot of dealings and also it makes sense for me to make an argument for those who come in in here as newbie and started barking the wrong way...any idea that will encourage premium membership im up to it! more power to us!

I'd be down for having the option to donate 1% of a transaction or something to the site. Even at that percentage, with the amount of money exhancged here you could easily run the site and get some more oak money.

great idea, im paying my dues coz i do a lot of dealings and also it makes sense for me to make an argument for those who come in in here as newbie and started barking the wrong way...any idea that will encourage premium membership im up to it! more power to us!
I dislike the ideas regarding limiting exchange access.

I dislike them greatly.

I dislike the ideas regarding limiting exchange access.

I dislike them greatly.

Well, I'm not been into a many forums. Whatever works for them I'm up to it. Regardless I don't have a say to what might be decided...your entitled to express against limiting access, we get that...hopefully we can breakdown the advantages and disadvantage with us premium members.

Limiting exchange access is a forum killer. You need new members to keep a forum alive. New members don't like being reminded they're new with extra hurdles or pay features.

I've been doing message boards, BBs, forums, etc since I was a kid. I've been a moderator, an admin, and a participant on a few dozen. Most of them die. Poor moderation, lack of evolution, shutting the door to new members or not being welcoming (said hurdles and pay features being principal to some of them) are great ways to kill a forum.

Look at O-Review. Dann's forum predates this place by a lot. He had his doors closed to new members for a long time and now (sadly) their membership is stale and mostly inactive, with only a handful of posts a day or week. The passion for the hobby and brand is there, and in some ways stronger and more deeply seeded than here (no offense to any Oakley Forumers!) but that community is in dire straits.

And please do NOT make it sound like you're part of some special higher class group because you gave the forum money for some added features to become a Premium Member. I am invested in this community all the same. I care what happens.

You know more than I do, anything that works I'm up to it...I read a good idea, I'm expressing positive reactions to it...like I said I'm not into other forums, I just want to get the facts inorder to decide which work for the premium members...it's not my idea in the first place to limit access...I just agreed and like it.

Limiting exchange access is a forum killer. You need new members to keep a forum alive. New members don't like being reminded they're new with extra hurdles or pay features.

I've been doing message boards, BBs, forums, etc since I was a kid. I've been a moderator, an admin, and a participant on a few dozen. Most of them die. Poor moderation, lack of evolution, shutting the door to new members or not being welcoming (said hurdles and pay features being principal to some of them) are great ways to kill a forum.

Look at O-Review. Dann's forum predates this place by a lot. He had his doors closed to new members for a long time and now (sadly) their membership is stale and mostly inactive, with only a handful of posts a day or week. The passion for the hobby and brand is there, and in some ways stronger and more deeply seeded than here (no offense to any Oakley Forumers!) but that community is in dire straits.

And please do NOT make it sound like you're part of some special higher class group because you gave the forum money for some added features to become a Premium Member. I am invested in this community all the same. I care what happens.
I agree giving premium members any early access to exchange sales will limit growth of forum. being new myself I would see it as a private good Olde boys club atmosphere being created here by doing so. Also some people want cash asap 12 hours or any cap may hurt a fast sale or force seller who needs funds for somthing esle to accept a lower offer... newbies see something and just buy it sometimes right away.. My first purchase here was a great deal witch I never would have got it, if that rule was in place. It made me think this place was great! honestly it kept me coming back kinda like ebay, I would check exchange daily .I have met great people on here and made friends. That's my 0.02 cents

Back