• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can a titanium band from a Gearbox go on to a Gearbox that has/had a Unobtainium band?

DrtyHarry

Oakley Expert
I kinda like the gold faced Gearbox, but they come with the Unobtainium bracelets. I was thinking....maybe find a titanium bracelet, and have it finished in a high polish black finish. I think that would look nice. So, I'm going to pick up the watch and just keep my eyes open for a bracelet...when I can afford one that is.

Anyone ever do something like that? A polish job on the bracelet can't cost more than $150...

I am sure they fit, but don't get your hopes up about finding a metal bracelet unless you know O has them in stock. It is very hard to find anything but links after the fact.

I think the black with gold would look nice. Finding the band will be the tough part and the plating even tougher. When I was at HQ they told me someone bought the Ti watch just for the band to put on an automatic gear box.

Nah, O will not sell one to me. Even if I send it in. No way. I "toyed" with the notion of picking up a fake one, but then said the hell with that, not putting anything fake on my wrist. Soooo...there is a jewelry store not far from me that has a rather beat up Gearbox and I think I could get it for a good price. Yes, it has scratches and a few flaws...no big chunks of metal missing from it though.

So...I figure I can get a new gold face Gearbox (with a discount or without between $275-$375...here's hoping), and than go to the jewelry store that has that beat up Gearbox. I can see if he will work with me on just the bracelet alone....if not, maybe just buy the entire watch from him. Tell him that if he hooks me up with a good price, I will pay him more to put a dark/black chrome on the bracelet. I'd rather have an MM bracelet, but don't think the connector to the watch bracelet would match up. I'm sure it can be done via custom. But than I might be talking a lot more money....on a watch that really isn't all that. I hope the guy at the jewelry shop will do the bracelet for me. Hope he does!! Will let you all know...thanks!

Nah, O will not sell one to me. Even if I send it in. No way. I "toyed" with the notion of picking up a fake one, but then said the hell with that, not putting anything fake on my wrist. Soooo...there is a jewelry store not far from me that has a rather beat up Gearbox and I think I could get it for a good price. Yes, it has scratches and a few flaws...no big chunks of metal missing from it though.

So...I figure I can get a new gold face Gearbox (with a discount or without between $275-$375...here's hoping), and than go to the jewelry store that has that beat up Gearbox. I can see if he will work with me on just the bracelet alone....if not, maybe just buy the entire watch from him. Tell him that if he hooks me up with a good price, I will pay him more to put a dark/black chrome on the bracelet. I'd rather have an MM bracelet, but don't think the connector to the watch bracelet would match up. I'm sure it can be done via custom. But than I might be talking a lot more money....on a watch that really isn't all that. I hope the guy at the jewelry shop will do the bracelet for me. Hope he does!! Will let you all know...thanks!
When you checked with O, you called the warranty dept., correct?

When you checked with O, you called the warranty dept., correct?

Yep...even asked them for a one time favor because I have a few outstanding orders there were pushed back on backorder FIVE damn times. I had stuff put on back order a few times....but FIVE? Thats nuts. And it's for a dozen Juliet accessory kits. They have them in the cage....just sitting there, but insist they only use those kits for when glasses are sent in.

So I said....ok, I have a 24K Juliet that needs rubber pieces and a tune...maybe some lenses and new T-Shocks. And in order to get lenses, rubber pieces, etc. I have to send them in? She said "correct". So I told her....here is my problem. These glasses can for as much as $3,4,5,000. They are very expensive. So if I need something as simple as T-Shocks.....I need to send you the glasses. And I continued to tell her that what happens if my glasses get lost in the mail? She said I am covered under insurance when shipping to and from Oakley. OK....so if you lose my 24K Juliets, how much will I get reimbursed? She said whatever I paid for them. So if they were $400 14 years ago...that's what I will get. IN STORE CREDIT!!! I tried to tell her uou could put a down payment on a small house with the value of these glasses....I REFUSE TO SEND THEM TO YOU. So a senior rep gets on the phone....very nice guy, and he totally agreed with me. He said Harry....I spoke with you before and you are a great customer. But you are right in this case....DO NOT SEND YOUR X-METALS TO OAKLEY. And I told him about my watch....he said my best bet is to have it changed next time you are in LA or in the UK. UGH.....

He was on vacation and his MM watch died....had a local jewelry store change batteries....watch got all fogged up inside. RUINED. SOOOO.....it's a double edged sword with batteries. Wish there was an east coast location.....thus, why all my watches are automatic Wish I had a FMJ!!!

He was on vacation and his MM watch died....had a local jewelry store change batteries....watch got all fogged up inside. RUINED. SOOOO.....it's a double edged sword with batteries. Wish there was an east coast location.....thus, why all my watches are automatic Wish I had a FMJ!!!

I thought you had a polished OMM

Back