• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can anything be done with damaged Fire Iridium lens's

TheBlondeFella

Oakley Beginner
Over the lifetime of my Juliets I have managed to damage 3 pairs or fire iridium lens's by scratching the outer finish.
I appreciate that I won't be able to repair the finish of them but I was wondering if anyone has completely removed the finish to show the actual lens underneath make them usable again but without the 'fire iridium finish?

IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG

Protection is only guaranteed as long as the Iridium layer is undamaged.
The colored plastic blank useless for any protection.
I thought the plastic itself had the UV protection? Removing the iridium will make them block less sunlight, possibly a lot less, which I guess might make them useless on really sunny days. Any thoughts @KarlBlessing ?

I thought the plastic itself had the UV protection? Removing the iridium will make them block less sunlight, possibly a lot less, which I guess might make them useless on really sunny days. Any thoughts @KarlBlessing ?
I am not sure at all what feature of a lens makes it an protection from sun light.
But to be on the save side,
I would not use any lens that has scratches or layers removed.

Yes the base polycarbonate material they use itself blocks uv400, it's not the iridium or coating that does it.

Though enough iridium damage is going to visible as uneven brightness and color, they'll work for the purpose of protecting your eyes from uv while giving you a headache from everything else.

Latest Posts

Back