• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can the iridium coating affect the base tint appearance?

That's really interesting to see, thanks for doing this. I had actually been thinking a little while ago how disappointed I was that Ruby was the only lens with a blue view when looking through. I love wearing Ruby for that but would like to have the same with some of the other iridiums. I'd never considered that it was the actual iridium causing the colour.

This proves that Ruby Iridium sacrifices function for cosmetics... Other Oakley lenses are far more practical to look through for everyday uses... but the blue tint created by the Iridium coating makes the world look washed out and doesn't shield against bright light very well. Maybe polarized Ruby Iridium is better.

Don't really want to cut up my polarized Juliet lenses:p

I'll see if I can make a holder so I don't have to damage the lenses and the lenses are kept in the same position relative to the emitter and sensor..

I've been hesitant to perform this test on polarized lenses. The non-polar lenses have the base color all through the polycarbonate. Polars used to, too, but in recent years they switched to a clear polar blank to which the base tint is applied as a layer; you can tell by looking at the lens edge-on.

So if an older polar tint-in-base pair is donated, fine. But if one of these newer polar tinted layer lenses is donated, I'd be concerned that removing the iridium might get some of the base tint layer, too, and affect the results.

Last edited:
I've been hesitant to perform this test on polarized lenses. The non-polar lenses have the base color all through the polycarbonate. Polars used to, too, but in recent years they switched to a clear polar blank to which the base tint is applied as a layer; you can tell by looking at the lens edge-on.

Something else I didn't know. I think I learn something from every post of yours that I read, so thanks very much! :)

Polars used to, too, but in recent years they switched to a clear polar blank to which the base tint is applied as a layer; you can tell by looking at the lens edge-on.

Hey folks don't buy out competitors lenses, they do polarization through lamination which distorts the optics because of added layers and adhesives! -Oakley of yesteryear.

Buy our lenses, they look cool! Also they cost more! Layers distort optics?! Who said anything about optics? Hurry up and buy! - Sad trombone Oakley.

Hey folks don't buy out competitors lenses, they do polarization through lamination which distorts the optics because of added layers and adhesives! -Oakley of yesteryear.

Buy our lenses, they look cool! Also they cost more! Layers distort optics?! Who said anything about optics? Hurry up and buy! - Sad trombone Oakley.

Well, they still use the same method of fusing in the polarization instead of gluing on a layer, but yeah, changing the base tint to a layer sounds like a compromise...

BTW this week I received Violet and Ice lenses for this test. I've tested one so far, will do the other later and post the results for both.

Well, they still use the same method of fusing in the polarization instead of gluing on a layer, but yeah, changing the base tint to a layer sounds like a compromise...
At least I can get some sweet laminated lenses in my xmetal madman.

Haven't had a chance to put together the results of my last two tests until now, might get them all posted today; if not, tomorrow...

Let's start with a set of Ice, donated by @Wicked. There really isn't any dispute about the base tint of Ice, but since they were donated for this cause, might as well run the test and see the results...

1.jpg

The familiar neutral base tint...

4.jpg

Iridium partially removed...

5.jpg

6.jpg

And the final result...

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

As expected, grey base. The Iridium doesn't really appear to affect the hue, looks more like the shade is a little lighter with the iridium removed. If there is a hue change, it's subtle.

Back