• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can You Help A Newbie, Penny Cyclops Xmen

xenomesh

Oakley Beginner
I realy want to get a pair of Oakley penny cyclops or similar The only option so far is ebay and is way too expensive I also though of buying mirror and sunglases separatly found some dark ruby mirrors for penny on a Japan online store but no luck as yet of finding a pair of Penny sunglases I would prefer mint but one in very good condition would also do. oh and it must be black or dark grey framed
Question: Do the Red mirror on Penny only show red under sunbeam reflextion, thats atleast what that red ruby mirror store in Japan states (they polarized) i think would be good with one that is red always
2IA9j06.jpg
350je5k.jpg

I could also go for Juliet (found some cheap ruby mirrors online) but i think penny look better
im in europe
I want to use them for regular street use just though black sunglases with dark ruby mirrors look awesome
They should make more of those

x-metal grey penny's are quite rare now but they do come up every now and again. If you want to cut the costs down go for the 2nd gen without serial number. Serial numbered frames (XMxxxxxx) go for a lot more than the non serialed number frames.

I have both and will be selling my 2nd gen penny's soon, just been serviced by Oakley UK and in excellent condition.

The lenses used in the film were a Blood Red with a Chrome Mirror finish on the inside. They literally dye everything you see Blood Red and were known to cause headaches for the actors that wore them during filming. If you want the Movie authentic look, then don't expect to wear them much as they are VERY distracting and are really more of a display piece. Replica lenses go up for sale a couple times each month for around $100 for a set, but they look spot on accurate. If you plan on wearing these, then consider going for a custom cut set of lenses in Positive (+) Red. I've purchased several sets of Ruby Irridium style lenses, and while close, never really match the movie look. Positive red is looks to be a closer look compared to whats available now. (The Ruby irriduim lenses have changed drastically since the early 2000's.

As for frames... Expect to pay at least $300, probably more. The Penny's have been discontinued for some time now and are a collectible in their own right. It's just unrealistic to expect to find these for cheap (Although it is possible to jump on a buy it now price for $250 every once in a while). As someone who has checked ebay 5-10 times per day minimum for the past 3 months, and has seen (and purchased) his share of bargains, The penny's rarely go for anything under $300 these days. With that said, consider Plasma penny's. The frame is lighter in color, but (in my opinion) actually looks closer to the movie look then the x-metal frame does. The movie frames weren't X-metal in color themselves and they weren't plasma, but rather something in between, and at least as far as I'm concerned the plasma actually looks closer.

I realy want to get a pair of Oakley penny cyclops or similar The only option so far is ebay and is way too expensive I also though of buying mirror and sunglases separatly found some dark ruby mirrors for penny on a Japan online store but no luck as yet of finding a pair of Penny sunglases I would prefer mint but one in very good condition would also do. oh and it must be black or dark grey framed
Question: Do the Red mirror on Penny only show red under sunbeam reflextion, thats atleast what that red ruby mirror store in Japan states (they polarized) i think would be good with one that is red always
2IA9j06.jpg
350je5k.jpg

I could also go for Juliet (found some cheap ruby mirrors online) but i think penny look better
im in europe
I want to use them for regular street use just though black sunglases with dark ruby mirrors look awesome
They should make more of those

The main cost is in the penny frame itself. If you cant afford 500ish for the xmetal penny, either 1- consider a titanium penny (which go cheaper), or get a xmetal juliet (it was in the first movie afterall)

Also for wearing sake, the juliet fits alot better, unless you have a fairly small head.

Anyway, the movie pair wasnt exactly xmetal- rather, a weathered xmetal frame that was worn down and hence showed abit of "shine" like the titanium frame. But noone in their right mind is going to do that to a $500 xmetal penny..

Not sure which fit me best of Xmetal, titanium penny or juliet I currently use Wiley-X XL1 (the one used in stargate) and it is perfect. but i realy want a ruby or bloodred mirror, not sure if i can change the one on wiley-x XL1

x-metal grey penny's are quite rare now but they do come up every now and again. If you want to cut the costs down go for the 2nd gen without serial number. Serial numbered frames (XMxxxxxx) go for a lot more than the non serialed number frames.

I have both and will be selling my 2nd gen penny's soon, just been serviced by Oakley UK and in excellent condition.
Just when you're decided, please send me pm im interested on those XM-Penny thanks

Here is a image for the Pos Red lenses in a Penny. You can find non-OEM lenses at either LineGear or Exovista that will be close. LineGear is the best, only if you do not go custom OEM. The image that follows is a custom OEM lens cut to fit this penny. (It is a custom Oakley lens, a few members can make them for you) The Pos Red can also be made for the Juliet. This is about as close as you will get----As HAVOK said above

dsc03592q.jpg

Attachments

• dsc03592q.jpg
    dsc03592q.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 3,671
Back