• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Canadian Dr. Chop?

Email has been sent ... It's a tiny job of chopping lenses ( Jawbone to Split Jacket ) ...

Thanks all for the info ...

I'm to surprised he's slammed, but if I don't send em they'll never come back right?

I'm not rushed... It's just an extra set of lenses ...

Not taking anything away from DR.Chop but I could probably custom Oakleys. I've done tons of micron airbrushing, used high impact urethanes and spray and cook ceramics.
When I first got here I checked out his website and he's pretty decent. Going to give it a try as I never thought to even try to paint a set of glasses but done tons of hard hats, rifles, vehicles ....all the way up to oil drilling rigs. I think I'll work on some plastic spoons first to try.

Not trying to take away from him either. He's obviously got a ton of practical experience in the area. Something I'll be trying this weekend.

Goodluck with it and may the learning curve not be to rough. There is an art to it like anything. Experience is worth more then anything.

Goodluck with it and may the learning curve not be to rough. There is an art to it like anything. Experience is worth more then anything.
Totally agree. I think even though I have easily in the thousands of hours for airbrushing I'll use some cheap safety glasses first. I would never knowingly sacrifice one of children. Lol

I'm no Dr. Chop, but I have been quietly painting frames for the past year or two. I have a background in industrial and automotive painting, as well as hobby level scale modeling. Spraying frames is a whole different ball game than any thing else I've worked on. With painting frames, it's a balancing game between applying the thinnest, lightest coating possible, while still creating a durable finish that can stand up to the abuse of handling and wear. For me though, the real challenges come after the painting is done. Reinserting lenses can scrape the paint right off if you're not careful. If you get too much paint in the hinge area, it can scrape off when you swing the arms (this can actually happen even if you get a real light paintjob). It's hearbreaking when you spend hours going through the whole process of coating a frame, only to screw it up in reassembly. There are all sorts of other headaches too, but it's pretty rewarding when everything comes together.

My advice would be to get a cheap beater pair of Oakleys and give it a shot. You'll have to blow through several pairs until you get the feel for it. Oh yeah, and one more word of advice: use an adhesion promoter on o-matter frames!

I'm no Dr. Chop, but I have been quietly painting frames for the past year or two. I have a background in industrial and automotive painting, as well as hobby level scale modeling. Spraying frames is a whole different ball game than any thing else I've worked on. With painting frames, it's a balancing game between applying the thinnest, lightest coating possible, while still creating a durable finish that can stand up to the abuse of handling and wear. For me though, the real challenges come after the painting is done. Reinserting lenses can scrape the paint right off if you're not careful. If you get too much paint in the hinge area, it can scrape off when you swing the arms (this can actually happen even if you get a real light paintjob). It's hearbreaking when you spend hours going through the whole process of coating a frame, only to screw it up in reassembly. There are all sorts of other headaches too, but it's pretty rewarding when everything comes together.

My advice would be to get a cheap beater pair of Oakleys and give it a shot. You'll have to blow through several pairs until you get the feel for it. Oh yeah, and one more word of advice: use an adhesion promoter on o-matter frames!

Have to tried using urethanes?
How about enamels?

I'm strongly considering using Endura which is a Canadian high impact paint..very similar to PPG in the States.

Have fun...it ain't as easy as one thinks. I have re sprayed and fixed many a job done by pro painters who do cars, small scale stuff, etc. It just isn't the same at all. Plus, durability is the most crucial. Always fun to experiment by all means, and best of luck, but trashing shades adds up fast, not to mention practicing on one surface as a trial, only to wind up with a whole different mess since compositions of materials are vastly different. Acetate isn't anywhere near the same as virgin cerillium, or o matter. I wish I had taken pix of the destruction I have raged on some...

The basic principles go out the window with shades. The thing to keep in mind is this: you pretty much have 1 shot at getting them right. Everything else will show, need tons of massaging, or hours sanding and fixing which that in and of itself creates another mess of problems. You just can't buildup enough material to have a buffer, then the shades lose functionality or range of motion. I was blessed to have a HUGE supply of cheap Oaks back in the day when I had a huge income to match. Dropping 5k at a sale was no thang, and let me play and have fun...best of luck though, should be a fun journey.

Yeah should be interesting to try. I think I'm going to try to spray some straight jackets first. Plus with eBay and kijiji gives ample savings I guess. Just hope you might be ready for a slew of messages Dr? Lmao

Back