• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Carbon Fiber Case Mod.....part ii

Orion

I hit things with sticks....
As I look into "lining" the inside of a carbon fiber case, I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with plasti dip on metal and what your experience is?

This seems promising but would want something fairly durable without risk of damaging the frames or lenses in anyway.

As I look into "lining" the inside of a carbon fiber case, I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with plasti dip on metal and what your experience is?

This seems promising but would want something fairly durable without risk of damaging the frames or lenses in anyway.
Would stick on felt material work? At least it would be easy to cut and fit, and it'd be also moderately soft, but not take up too much room in the case.

The harder way might be to custom cut foam exactly for an x-metal. But that would be quite a nightmare and unless you cut well, would look pretty amateurish.

Plastidip is used on cars and I knew guys that used it on their rims. Soooooooooo durable it may be but not too sure on using it on the inside of the case.

Would stick on felt material work? At least it would be easy to cut and fit, and it'd be also moderately soft, but not take up too much room in the case.

The harder way might be to custom cut foam exactly for an x-metal. But that would be quite a nightmare and unless you cut well, would look pretty amateurish.
I'll have to see what type of "stick on felt" material I can find. This is certainly a good option for protection. It's just a matter of finding something that will fit well in the inside of the case without bunching.

Plastidip is used on cars and I knew guys that used it on their rims. Soooooooooo durable it may be but not too sure on using it on the inside of the case.
I've heard some good things about this stuff that for sure but still have some questions so I'm still thinking this one through and need some more questions answers

I've contacted their product support to understand if/how this material degrades. My concern is a reaction with the finish on the frames or the lenses over a period of time especially this is where I would be storing them for the majority of time

Do we have any chemical engineers in the house that might have some thoughts on this topic?

I'll have to see what type of "stick on felt" material I can find. This is certainly a good option for protection. It's just a matter of finding something that will fit well in the inside of the case without bunching.
Shouldn't be too hard to avoid "bunching" if you first make a template from a piece of paper with wedge cuts on the lateral edges to account for the curvature of the case.

Shouldn't be too hard to avoid "bunching" if you first make a template from a piece of paper with wedge cuts on the lateral edges to account for the curvature of the case.
Great idea. You just made this this idea move to the top of the list. Received a reply back from plastidip and they didn't address my question on "degradation" I had asked at all. Even though I explained the application I was intending to use this for and the sensitivity of the contents inside.

Great idea. You just made this this idea move to the top of the list. Received a reply back from plastidip and they didn't address my question on "degradation" I had asked at all. Even though I explained the application I was intending to use this for and the sensitivity of the contents inside.

Yay me! FINALLY I'm useful on O.F.!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back