• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Carbon Fiber Case Mod

I couldn't find what they actually make it out of. So I was just being cautious.

Since I'm not a chemast I didn't want to take any chances

I've had situations in the past where I've said to myself....... "I don't think anything bad will happen....." that was followed by a....... "$h!t I just 'effed' that up!"

You will not know if you dont try. Making mistakes is part of a learning experience, even me when i started making custom oakleys i do make some mistakes too but because of that, the next project will be better, so dont be affraid to step out of the box, just enjoy and be creative.

Sent from FRANK's basement digging some goodies using Tapatalk

You will not know if you dont try. Making mistakes is part of a learning experience, even me when i started making custom oakleys i do make some mistakes too but because of that, the next project will be better, so dont be affraid to step out of the box, just enjoy and be creative.

:rofl:

Digging your own grave is more like it. :rofl:

Ah ok then i havent tried that as i dont want to anyway i was thinking to soak it it water to soften the glue because if you use a heatgun then the outer finish might be affected. So its on your own risk buddy LOL and if you mess it up charge it to @OakleyFrankFMJ because he drag me into this. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deal. I'm good with @OakleyFrankFMJ taking the hit for my screw up!

If I use water I'm wondering if that will ruin the lining. I might considered it. I'll probably try the heat gun but on the inside not directly on the outside of the case.

Did you ever have an idea that you thought would result is something really cool and you invest a ton of time and effort in just to end up with nothing and something you've damaged so bad it can't be used?

My spider sense for this just started to tingle but regardless, I'll probably go for it anyway.

Deal. I'm good with @OakleyFrankFMJ taking the hit for my screw up!

If I use water I'm wondering if that will ruin the lining. I might considered it. I'll probably try the heat gun but on the inside not directly on the outside of the case.

Did you ever have an idea that you thought would result is something really cool and you invest a ton of time and effort in just to end up with nothing and something you've damaged so bad it can't be used?

My spider sense for this just started to tingle but regardless, I'll probably go for it anyway.
:hi:

I was always the kid in shop class that tried to make something cool that always ended up looking like an ashtray.

My wife has nicknamed me "Dr Destructo" and my kids as a joke got me a "Life Is Good" T-shirt that says "Mr. Fix-It" which was really meant ironically.

IMG_0431.JPG

Step one done. Heat gun worked great! Just have to be careful. The case is actually metal wrapped in some other material. Will try to get a better pix of that later.

Step two...remove the glue. There is quite a bit as you can see in the pix. Acetone did not work. Onto goo be gone (TWSS)!

IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG
No goo be gone.....but this stuff is working well. Got most of it off letting it soak for about a minute.

Close up pix of the "skin" wrapped around the metal. When my head stops spinning from the fumes and this is all cleaned up. I'll try to get a description of the "skin". Not sure what it is at this point

Back