• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Carbon or x-metal Juliet.

Carbon or x-metal juliet

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zed

Oakley Beginner
So just suppose you got in your eBay carbon Juliet w BIP that are screwed. Frame needs tightening and refinish. No box or coin or serial number. Not gonna say what I paid cause it was too much. This will be second pair Juliet, first are plasma w icon deep blue lenses. Look great. Do you refinish in stock carbon, or change to x-metal? These are to wear so they arent gonna be sitting on a shelf. I think the x-metal looks cool, but I've only seen pictures. Already have some black icon lenses for these, until I find some real BIP lense. and no polished or 24k aren't options. Opinions please!

I really all comes down to personal choice. Which do you like better. Either goes well with most attire. Do you want that all black look or a more subtle grey/black combo. It really is a no lose situation, however, I voted for classic look of carbon BI, though I'm thinking of changing my vote to X-Metal. Lol.

I don't think anyone can 'refinish' Carbon, it would have to be ceracoat or whatever else they use.

carbon is a special coating which is a bisch to replicate without falling apart like OEM. I've got something close enough to Carbon and super durable but not as matte black (mine is more like charcoal dark grey almost carbon like color). If you want durability, go x-metal. if you want black black black, you'll have to cerakote or paint it.

Maybe do a TiO finish and redo the worst parts of the frame and have a unique frame? Black lens could pull this frame off easily.

I don't think anyone can 'refinish' Carbon, it would have to be ceracoat or whatever else they use.

^this...

There's plenty of black / dark refinish options out there, but none that I've seen have perfectly matched OEM carbon. While OEM x-metal is easily reproduced through a media blast, from a donor x-metal frame of any starting finish.

And in general, you're better off leaving OEM finish unless it's damaged and actually needs a refinish...

I'd leave them carbon; it's a great finish. If you want x-metal, grow your collection with another pair, either OEM or find a beater pair to refinish...

Black tie, I need pictures so I can decide if the nose and arms are in really good shape usually only orbitals are scratched on those frames.

Back