• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Carbon Prime opinions

Is there a way to tell their production date or are you referring to the MotoGP version vs the regular? I don't know the exact release dates of these.

Fairly positive between feb 2016 and feb 2017 they upped the quality and care of the releases from the initial launch.

I don’t really know where you get your info but the MotoGP was sold online only in June 2017 and the regular ones were sold after that. In May 2018, an online discounter sold it for about 60% off. There are threads to prove these info.

I don’t really know where you get your info but the MotoGP was sold online only in June 2017 and the regular ones were sold after that. In May 2018, an online discounter sold it for about 60% off. There are threads to prove these info.

Do forgive me for misconstruing the time line of releases.

This will be the last I give my input on this thread, but yes, the earlier production releases of the Carbon Primes were subject to flaws with piston assembly with the screws fixing them to the temples, said screws had a tendency to become loose and fall out. Thus being structurally flawed, and why a second production was released. That’s my .02

You don’t have to like it, you don’t have to agree with it; however a little bit of open mindedness does go a long way, especially in regards to engineering, and humanity. Again my .02 🤷‍♂️🥃

This will be the last I give my input on this thread, but yes, the earlier production releases of the Carbon Primes were subject to flaws with piston assembly with the screws fixing them to the temples, said screws had a tendency to become loose and fall out. Thus being structurally flawed, and why a second production was released. That’s my .02

You don’t have to like it, you don’t have to agree with it; however a little bit of open mindedness does go a long way, especially in regards to engineering, and humanity. Again my .02 🤷‍♂️🥃

Ok, I’ll back off.

I guess, if you says so, it must be true then. What I wanted is to know where you got that info? Was it an insider info, a product review, an internal memo, or you just don’t want to tell us. It is an info that I don’t know, and would be helpful for me and this community to make an informed decision in making a purchase just like what the OP wants to do. The OP been asking you on how to tell the later release but you are not answering that also.

@wbroshea
Was told when I bought my pair. If you’re able to get one towards the end of production run, which was 5000 Prizm Black Polar, and 5000 Prizm Ruby Polar, as I was told they split the production into two halves after many a complaint regarding the screws on the temple arm that secure the piston. So after 2,500 of each black and ruby they proceeded to release the latter 2,500 of each, after improving the threading.

64A1BE45-B73B-4A29-91C1-0C0D6A236A38.jpeg

The release date on my pair is on the box, 10/10/2017, which I purchased in February 2018 @ at Oakley Store in International Plaza in Tampa, FL. It was their last pair, display at that. Despite my earlier words I’m passing along what was passed on to me, two employees and I the sole customer in the store, so as to the validity, whose to say what’s real or not. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that both screws are well threaded. So ideally try and get a pair with a matching box.

My absolute final .02 on this subject.

Last edited:
@iamFLIP try not to berate people, learn some patience and tact.

@wbroshea
Was told when I bought my pair. If you’re able to get one towards the end of production run, which was 5000 Prizm Black Polar, and 5000 Prizm Ruby Polar, as I was told they split the production into two halves after many a complaint regarding the screws on the temple arm that secure the piston. So after 2,500 of each black and ruby they proceeded to release the latter 2,500 of each, after improving the threading.

View attachment 646663

The release date on my pair is on the box, 10/10/2017, which I purchased in February 2018 @ at Oakley Store in International Plaza in Tampa, FL. It was their last pair, display at that. Despite my earlier words I’m passing along what was passed on to me, two employees and I the sole customer in the store, so as to the validity, whose to say what’s real or not. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that both screws are well threaded. So ideally try and get a pair with a matching box.

My absolute final .02 on this subject.
I have a suspicion you will be back... 😁

Back