• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Career change?

Should I change carrers

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

M Frame Boss

I am Jim Jannard...
Iowa
I'm stuck on staying working in the automotive industry. I've been doing it for about 11 years and in that time I've gotten over 50+ certificates. I'm a master Ford, Kia tech and started Chrysler before going into business for myself. I have about 60 loyal customers. My problem is my wife is wanting to quit her job that's really good pay and benefits and become a stay at home mom. I can't tell her no since that's her goal in life to raise her children. I make good money but when I add insurance there wouldn't be much money left over for anything extra. I live in a rural area, only good jobs are in a factory. I went to college promising myself I'd never go back to a factory but now I'm thinking that is my only option. I feel so mad that I couldn't stay at my last dealership but they wanted $1,200 a month for health insurance. When I first started the benefits where a lot better but now they are shi*. Any ideas yall?

I'm stuck on staying working in the automotive industry. I've been doing it for about 11 years and in that time I've gotten over 50+ certificates. I'm a master Ford, Kia tech and started Chrysler before going into business for myself. I have about 60 loyal customers. My problem is my wife is wanting to quit her job that's really good pay and benefits and become a stay at home mom. I can't tell her no since that's her goal in life to raise her children. I make good money but when I add insurance there wouldn't be much money left over for anything extra. I live in a rural area, only good jobs are in a factory. I went to college promising myself I'd never go back to a factory but now I'm thinking that is my only option. I feel so mad that I couldn't stay at my last dealership but they wanted $1,200 a month for health insurance. When I first started the benefits where a lot better but now they are shi*. Any ideas yall?

Sounds like you have no problem with being a hard worker? Have you ever thought about a trade such as elevator technician?

It is what it is!

Sounds like you have no problem with being a hard worker? Have you ever thought about a trade such as elevator technician?

It is what it is!
I have no idea how to start such a career. I live in a area where cows and pigs out number people lol. I'm very good with my hands and pick up on things quick so that's a good option buddy. Where do I start for that ?

I was faced with the same problem when I started my own business. My wife was already SAHM and I was making good money (dealership parts manager). I'd had enough of the auto industry. I fixed the insurance problem by getting a part time job w/ fedex. Early morning hours at our airport. 5-7 or 8am, sometimes less. I give them 12-15 hours a week and get REALLY good benefits. Health, dental, eye, 401k, vaca, sick days, the works. Worst part is getting out of bed at 4am, working for 3 hours, then going to work. But, it lets me do what I love, be my own boss, and lets the wife raise our kids! Win win win.

I was faced with the same problem when I started my own business. My wife was already SAHM and I was making good money (dealership parts manager). I'd had enough of the auto industry. I fixed the insurance problem by getting a part time job w/ fedex. Early morning hours at our airport. 5-7 or 8am, sometimes less. I give them 12-15 hours a week and get REALLY good benefits. Health, dental, eye, 401k, vaca, sick days, the works. Worst part is getting out of bed at 4am, working for 3 hours, then going to work. But, it lets me do what I love, be my own boss, and lets the wife raise our kids! Win win win.
I thought about doing parts at autozone, the manager likes me and my father worked there. The benefits aren't there though. Im trying to get the town job(mowing, pushing snow, fix water pipe etc) but that isn't looking good for me

Look into fedex or ups. Even rural locations, if you have a small rural airport, have operations. We call them feeders. Small Cesena's that "feed" the small rural markets that are too far from the Ramp to truck in a timely manner. What I would do is somehow get ahold of the des moines (assuming that's the ramp that services your area) ramp or station manager and ask where they send feeder planes. Then go from there if one is close. I could even help locate if you are interested.

Look into fedex or ups. Even rural locations, if you have a small rural airport, have operations. We call them feeders. Small Cesena's that "feed" the small rural markets that are too far from the Ramp to truck in a timely manner. What I would do is somehow get ahold of the des moines (assuming that's the ramp that services your area) ramp or station manager and ask where they send feeder planes. Then go from there if one is close.
Thanks for sharing buddy I'll try that. I'm about 3 weeks from being able to start due to the work I have at home.

Back