• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Careful With HDO 3D Lenses...

thatoakleyguy

Oakley Expert
VA
So I bought a set of Transformer 3D gascans because I thought they looked great and I could easily put some normal gascan lenses in them whenever I wanted.

It's how I justified it to my fiance' that I was spending $150 on 3D glasses lol.

So I was putting the 3D lenses back in the other day and noticed that a part of the lense "bubbled" or something. I then looked at the other and noticed the same thing. I think the 3D lenses are made differently than the normal lenses. It seems that the top layer has started to try to peel off from the bottom part of the lens.

I'm gonna put in a warranty repair request, but just throwing this out there for anyone who was trying the same thing I was. Not sure if I'm an idiot and did it wrong, but just a fair warning.

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to do the same thing and switch out my lenses. Sorry that happened to you. I do know that they are not as durable as regular Oakley lenses. I feared that might occur. I would get an RA on those babies and get them to send you a new pair.....

Yeah... Mine started to peel off at the edge while trying to fit the 3D lenses onto a regular Gascan frame... The lenses are a hair thicker than regular lenses. When I noticed the peeling, I stopped trying to "force" them in and put it aside.

I'll fit the 3D lenses back onto my TF3 Gascan in the near future and just use them for movies...

@thatoakleyguy please let us know, how oakley acts on that problem!

Great warning to those who have these, DON'T TRY TO CHANGE OUT THE LENSES. You could possibly damage the HDO-3D lenses. The paperwork included specifically mentions that these are for 3D use only so good luck having Oakley warranty the lenses.

First the eye orbitals for 3d glasses are different than regular gascans. The curvature between the teo is different. Oakley DOES NOT RECOMMEND changing the lenses from 3D to regular lenses or vice versa. I have three pair of Tron Gascans, one for sunglasses and two for movies. However, if u want to use them as sunglasses, either do an earstem swap or a ONE TIME ONLY 3D to sunglass lens swap. Once u swap to sunglasses, do not change them again, as u increase the likelihood of damage substantially.

They probably aren't gonna cover it since lenses are never covered by the warranty
This isn't really true, I've sent back lenses before that were obviously some kind of factory defect. They do not ever warranty them against scratches, but to say they never cover lenses just isn't true.

This isn't really true, I've sent back lenses before that were obviously some kind of factory defect. They do not ever warranty them against scratches, but to say they never cover lenses just isn't true.

Correct, iridium peeling or factory defects are covered!

Back